can the samsung HDR camera mode be used for HDRI?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2014   #16
Got photomatix?
Do you know how to make a paranoma?
Then you can make a HDRI image then.

Old 09 September 2014   #17
Originally Posted by Fdfxd: Got photomatix?
Do you know how to make a paranoma?
Then you can make a HDRI image then.

Yeah photomatix is nice, I use it for merging and tonemapping, but you also need a stitching program such as PTGui to piece together the panorama. Here's a large list of programs and utilities for HDRI processing.

The OP said he's new to HDRI, so I'm guessing he doesn't know too much about panoramas, but the main question was if you can make fully spherical environments with a mobile device such as the S5. Which should be possible, but its probably best to process the images on a computer through 3rd party software, which does make things harder because there is a learning curve with learning those applications. But learning about HDRI isn't that hard, you just have to take some time to research various processes and techniques. I would say you can learn everything about HDRI between HDRLabs, Youtube, and Google. You can find some HDRI stuff on CGTalk, but its harder to find, since there isn't a dedication section for it. Also Digital Tutors and The Gnomon Workshop has some excellent video tutorials if you don't feel like reading.

Last edited by Ian31R : 09 September 2014 at 05:37 AM.

Old 09 September 2014   #18
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: The dynamic range is not a huge issue, although it can be somewhat limited in the small cellphone sensors we have today. It's probably comparable to 12bit. They had to cap the dataflow atleast a couple of years ago since they processingpower of cellphone's were not anywhere near what we have today with quadcore and octacore cpu's plus 64bit.

As the new Android 5 will support fully manual exposure just like the Nokia Lumia 1020 does it will be much easier to capture multiple differently exposed shots and then compile those together into one final HDR, and for a panorama you just have to shoot several differently exposed shots in a spherical way around your centerpoint and then stitch those together in your PC.

/ Magnus

I use a higher end Lumia phone. It can shoot DNG files which are equivalent to RAW. Do you or anyone have any recommendations for software in the phone, to shoot nice, if not almost perfect HDR images, for rendering or texturing ?

Old 09 September 2014   #19
If you have the Lumia 1020 which is a great device and shoots RAW then you are lucky, however i still recommend you process your RAW files on your workstation and not on your device since applications are limited for that purpose and you have a bunch of great applications for your workstation which can get the job done so much better and faster.

/ Magnus

Old 09 September 2014   #20
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: If you have the Lumia 1020 which is a great device and shoots RAW then you are lucky, however i still recommend you process your RAW files on your workstation and not on your device since applications are limited for that purpose and you have a bunch of great applications for your workstation which can get the job done so much better and faster.

/ Magnus

Thanks for the info !

Last edited by Falam : 09 September 2014 at 05:03 PM.

reply share thread