Programming for Video Games

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Programming for Video Games

Hey there.

If one was to create a video game himself, lets say model all the characters himself and the environment what would you use in programming terms to put all that together that is, which programming language do you usually go for and how do you do it.

Any video game creation tutorials out there?

Thanks!

Old 06 June 2013   #2
C++ is the industry standard for games.

iPhone games are written in Objective-C, Android games in Java.

Your best bet is to visit GameDev.net, and if you are serious in learning programming, consider some education as well as teaching yourself.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #3
My recommendation to you..... KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid. I've gone that path before, making my own games. It's not easy and it takes time. Here are a few tips.

1. Don't overextend yourself by trying to make the next Mass Effect or anything. Especially as a beginner, pick a design that you know that you can do.

2. Once you have a design, freeze it. Feature creep can be the death of you. You'll always have great ideas that you'll want to implement. However, if you keep adding stuff and never set the design in stone, it'll never get finished. Even worse, it may get finished, but with some features only half-implemented.

3. Set a work schedule. "In my free time" simply isn't good enough. If you establish good habits early on, you'll finish. Staying motivated is hard enough. Trying to do so while on a relaxed, informal schedule is even harder. You may never finish.

4. Be realistic. Rome wasn't built in a day. A typical commercial game can take 18-24 months to make. That's with a fully staffed team of dozens or more. You're only one person. Even with a simpler design, don't expect to finish quickly. Especially as a newbie, you've got a whole lot of skills to develop. Not just learning the programming language, which itself can take time, but the SDKs involved in building the app. I don't know whether you'll succeed or not, but it WILL be a learning experience.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Sounds obvious, but it's easy to bite off more than you can chew and lose all hope. Just because you're good at art doesn't mean that you'll be good at sound, music, or programming. Also, more hands can cut your production time. More heads can help you clear out obvious design flaws and inject new ideas into a middling design.

Microsoft makes free "Express" versions of their Visual Studio apps. If you intend on making a Windows desktop app, as opposed to Metro, I'd suggest that you investigate: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstud...windows-desktop
Again, it's free. Download it. Register it. Get your serial. It supports x32 and x64 architectures. Usually, the main differences between the free and pro versions tend to be the lack of plugins and optimization tools.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Unity + Playmaker might be an 'easier' option if you're starting out.

Agree with cookepuss above.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Kinda depends what type of game you're making, what you're making it for, and what sdk you decide on. Unity and Unreal are usually the preferred options.

Originally Posted by cookepuss: 1. Don't overextend yourself by trying to make the next Mass Effect or anything. Especially as a beginner, pick a design that you know that you can do.

this. You either learn this the easy way or the hard way. I've lost count of how many friends/co-workers have attempted to make a game that they thought was "simple" just to end up getting burned by the amount of work it required.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by steveblake: Unity + Playmaker might be an 'easier' option if you're starting out.

Agree with cookepuss above.

I don't know what Playmaker is, but I can vouch for Unity, especially now that you can get their mobile versions for free.

Everything else said here is true too, however don't go for something too simple or it might bore you. Or I should say... don't do something simple for simplicity's sake - allow yourself room to be creative and keep it interesting.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Unity is really easy to get in to because of their huge user base and people are quite helpful.

CG cookie has a lot of good tutorials, though sadly in Java (easy to convert to C# once you know what you're doing)
http://cgcookie.com/unity/cgc-cours...defense-course/

Rocket 5 also has a bunch of things:
http://www.rocket5studios.com/tutor...ame-with-unity/

if you've got some cash you can also buy a few pre-made projects that can get you going and there's a load of free tools you can use once you learn the basics.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thank you all very much, as usual these forums providing with the most helpful of tips, love it.

First say that all I want is to bring my 3D models to life in the form of video games and also add that I already have some C++ background.

From what I read I can say that you all agree on Unity or at least most of you so what I am going to do is learn about this on all the links and forums you provided and on the unity website where they already have some beginner tutorials, I will also train my C++ skills a bit more just in case, unless of course Unity can do what C++ can and more.

Well thank you all for your time, plz feel free to keep posting, all is helpful.

Dave.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
unity is more of a front end to stick C# and Java scripts in to and has it's own library.
It's free to start with too, you only need to pay for the Pro version that lets you publish to mobile platforms and do all kinds of previewing things that really help, but it's technically not necessary.

It's also got a good script reference page:
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentati...ence/index.html

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread