Fluids not passing through gaps.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Fluids not passing through gaps.

Hi all, I am working on a scene that needs mist to come up through the gaps in the geometry in the floor. The problem I am having, is that the fluid wont pass through these gaps, but instead it is just colliding with the base of the geometry and is only passing through the big gap in the middle.

Here is an example of what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0T...eature=youtu.be

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Kai.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Either your model is not correctly cut, or your fluid res is too low res.

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Question

mmm well try with more resolution

Old 05 May 2013   #4
You can set shadedDisplay to collision to see the voxels that are marked in collision( the mesh is voxelized and the collision is with these voxels, not the exact mesh). Also note that the collisions are a bit more accurate if you use forward advection.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
but is it then with forward advection and a more accurate collision detection even slower ?

ohh and mr duncan - i tried to send you a pm but your inbox is fulll.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Forward advection is a bit slower, but by how much depends on your simulation. It might not make much difference in the speed. It is more leak proof then the default backward propagation, which can allow fluid to cross boundaries if the velocity is high enough. Also it does not zero density in occupied voxels, and thus also better preserves total density.

The resolution for collision is still voxel based, so the resolution is no different, however it does handle moving collision boundaries better.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
yeah i know. so to have exact collision we have use very high resolution for now.

could it be speed up and make it more detailed when we convert the collison objects
to nCloth and use a bit force field generation with a small distance and not the voxelbased collision - so we are independent from the voxel resolution ?

Old 05 May 2013   #8
In some cases you might get smoother results by using speed fluid emission (density emission off) from a surface with the replace method and inherit set to 1.0, however it is not a true collision, just a zeroing of velocity as one gets close the the surface. One can use the maxDistance on the fluid emitter as well as the fluid dropoff to create a smooth transition. It is a blurrier boundary then the collisions provide.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread