The UK's first VFX festival hopes to raise awareness of a vital industry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
The UK's first VFX festival hopes to raise awareness of a vital industry

Quote:
"
It makes sense, then, for Escape Studios to host the UK's first VFX Festival from 10 to 13 October in London. The capital is the centre of the visual effects industry in this country, with creative talent that attracts productions from around the world -- but, at a panel discussion on 27 September ahead of the festival, some of the industry's most successful figures warned of the challenges that the UK faces in staying competitive.

The good news about the visual effects industry in the UK is really very good -- it's huge, with annual revenues projected to grow to 600m by 2014. The UK also boasts some of the best companies in the world, with work rewarded not just with box office returns but also awards -- Double Negative's work on Inception received an Oscar in 2011 (Wired.co.uk spoke to the company's supervisor Paul Franklin about his work in 2010). Hollywood comes to Britain, explained Pat Joseph of The Mill, because we're the best at what we do and we're cheaper than American companies.

A lot of that is down to tax incentives -- currently, if at least 25 percent of a film's production costs are spent in the UK, then that film qualifies for a tax credit. Sir William Sargent of Framestore went so far as to claim that between 50 to 75 percent fewer films would come to the UK for visual effects work if that tax credit were not there. The government announced in the last budget that this scheme will be extended until at least 2015, and minister for culture, communications and creative industries Ed Vaizey was eager to point out how seriously the government is taking this sector of the economy."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...estival-preview
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2012   #2
First of all, is VFX really a vital industry? Is the entertainment industry vital for that matter?

Second- and more importantly- why should 1 industry get tax incentives when others don't?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: First of all, is VFX really a vital industry?
The context of the term is used in regards to the UK economy.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: First of all, is VFX really a vital industry? Is the entertainment industry vital for that matter?

Second- and more importantly- why should 1 industry get tax incentives when others don't?

Do we really need to derail this thread into another big, inevitably hypocritical cross-Atlantic argument about tax incentives?

I can't help but feel a bit stung by their mention of DNeg's Oscar but no mention of the Oscar we won at Framestore for Golden Compass. Waaahhhh.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by leigh: I can't help but feel a bit stung by their mention of DNeg's Oscar but no mention of the Oscar we won at Framestore for Golden Compass. Waaahhhh.

Leigh, I'll never forget you guys won the Oscar for Golden Compass... because I was actually rooting for Transformers to win. :P :P :P

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Honestly, I think everyone was.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by leigh: Do we really need to derail this thread into another big, inevitably hypocritical cross-Atlantic argument about tax incentives?

I can't help but feel a bit stung by their mention of DNeg's Oscar but no mention of the Oscar we won at Framestore for Golden Compass. Waaahhhh.

I think its expected that artists from London, Canada, etc would be in-favor of tax-credits while artists from California or other locals in the States wouldn't be. In the end, and this is a general statement, its about self-preservation.

There really isn't any point in arguing about it.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by leigh: Honestly, I think everyone was.

I did take a deeper look at Golden Compass after you guys won and I was like: "Well.... it was really good... I mean.. their FX really supported the story.. and it was consistent... and yeah.. well maybe when they make TF2..."

:P

So in that way the Oscar was already useful... it makes people look twice at your work.

I hope the trade show works. And the FX business is vital in the way Culture and Cultural expression is vital... in an age where people are watching or listening to something round the clock these days.

Even my mom now has an Android tablet and watches streaming video!

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread