novice rigger needs help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
novice rigger needs help

Hi all,

First off thanks to everyone in this forum for all their help.

I'm relatively new to character rigging/animation in Maya. Currently, I have a rigged figure that I would like to use as a prototype for my lead character animations for a game that I'm working on.

This figure is fairly simple. I essentially have a mesh with the skeleton bound & with IK handle tools. That's it.

I was able to create a 30sec. walk animation sequence, although I had some issues with some joints moving in directions where I didn't want it to go.

I just ignored the problem since this is not the production version of the model & is just a practice rig for the animation sequences I'm going to be working on- but now I'm doing a run sequence with more exaggerated motions & limbs are going every which way.

Here's a screen cap of the setup.

I have a keyframe on frame 50. But when I scrub on the timeline, the knee gets moved WAY out of position. In addition, the position of the bones don't stay put once I scrub the timeline- it gets moved & the figure is deformed.

This is just a prototype to have an in-game character for me to make sure the game scripting works; the final character will have a lower poly count but with about the same amount of bones.

I could really use some pointers/hints in fixing this problem. Since I'll be creating other characters.

Thanks again,
scr33ner

Last edited by scr33ner : 09 September 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
I can't tell from the images, but it looks like you don't have any pole vectors for you IK handles.
While it is possible to animate without them using the twist/roll attributes on the IK handle.
An RP IK handle with a pole vector constraint could get your IK's behaving better.
If this isn't an option, you need to reorient your joints so that the main knee rotation is pointed straight over the foot.
Check out Maya help or search for IK leg with pole vector tutorials if you want to see how to set things up.
Good luck.
~Ben

Old 09 September 2012   #3
thanks animatedfox,

You're right, I didn't make pole vectors- wasn't quite sure how to implement one (learning Maya on my own).

I tried to use just the point constraint from the tool shelf but it didn't work. I checked out Maya help & didn't quite find what I was looking for, maybe I didn't look in the right place.

I googled "IK leg with pole vector" & found a 3 step video series on youtube- I'll give that a go today.

I'll let you know how it all goes after I play with it- thanks for the 411.

scr33ner

Old 09 September 2012   #4
pole vectoring definitely did the trick!

What I learned is that I shouldn't bind the skin before adding the constraints; otherwise the mesh deforms horribly.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by scr33ner: pole vectoring definitely did the trick!

What I learned is that I shouldn't bind the skin before adding the constraints; otherwise the mesh deforms horribly.

This happens when you don't set up the controller for your pole vector correctly. When it's not in the right place, the rig will shift to move it to aim at the pole vector and if it's skinned you'll get skinning issues.

An easy way to position a pole vector controller:
1. Create your controller, delete history and freeze transforms with it on the origin.
2. Point constrain the controller to the root joint (of your 3-joint IK)
3. Point constrain it to the end joint (of your 3-joint IK)
4. Aim constrain it to the mid joint
5. Delete constraints
6. Push it outwards from the mid joint

When you constrain it as a pole vector it won't move.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Taunise: An easy way to position a pole vector controller:
1. Create your controller, delete history and freeze transforms with it on the origin.
2. Point constrain the controller to the root joint (of your 3-joint IK)
3. Point constrain it to the end joint (of your 3-joint IK)
4. Aim constrain it to the mid joint
5. Delete constraints
6. Push it outwards from the mid joint

When you constrain it as a pole vector it won't move.

I'll definitely be doing these steps. I know when I was exporting the FBX with animations, I had some warnings/errors regarding the constrains-- but the test character worked fine within the game engine so I ignored the warning/errors.

Thanks Taunise

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread