Getting a Degree due to Visa requirements

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #46
Originally Posted by marcuso: You mean why have a conversation about it? It's the internet, all information is there, I'd just rather have peoples experiences as opposed to reading through official docs. Especially when it's from folks in the same field.

Apologies, my post wasn't really directed at you, but more to people who straight up ask "what are the requirements?" when that info is easy to find.

Discussing people's experiences is absolutely valid so I have no issue with the thread itself :-)

And no, AM don't offer degrees as far as I know. It's worth mentioning that the degree doesn't have to be a "computer graphics" degree, it can be anything related to your career. You could investigate the option of doing any art related degree via correspondence, if that suited you.

Old 09 September 2012   #47
What about what i mentioned regarding the work permit after graduation? would be glad to hear the answer for that!

Old 09 September 2012   #48
Originally Posted by EladTzemach: What about what i mentioned regarding the work permit after graduation? would be glad to hear the answer for that!

My understanding is that if you study in the US, you can change your visa status upon graduation to a temporary work permit, but if I recall correctly, this permit is valid only for a short time (I think it's one year), after which the student would need to apply for an H1B visa. This information should be on the US border agency website.

Old 09 September 2012   #49
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...0082ca60a RCRD

Old 09 September 2012   #50
Originally Posted by EladTzemach: What about what i mentioned regarding the work permit after graduation? would be glad to hear the answer for that!

AFAIK, the U.S. gives you 1 year of work permission after you finish your degree.

When that 1 year is over, your employer needs to sponsor you for an H1B or similar visa.

If you get sponsored, you can stay in the U.S. and keep working.

If you don't, you have to leave the U.S. within a certain period of time.

Old 09 September 2012   #51
Originally Posted by leigh: Apologies, my post wasn't really directed at you, but more to people who straight up ask "what are the requirements?" when that info is easy to find.

No worries : )

Originally Posted by leigh: And no, AM don't offer degrees as far as I know. It's worth mentioning that the degree doesn't have to be a "computer graphics" degree, it can be anything related to your career. You could investigate the option of doing any art related degree via correspondence, if that suited you.

That would be unfortunate, I've sent them an inquiry just in case. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise though. Not sure I'd find an animation course particularly stimulating, a degree in jazz piano however, that'd be pretty sweet! And it doesn't have to be related to what one actually be working with? To me that just make the whole degree-for-visa thing seem even more irrelevant..

Old 09 September 2012   #52
Heh no I think you may have misread my post. It has to be related to your career, but not specifically-so. In other words, you could have a degree in art, or graphic design, or anything that could be deemed as related to computer graphics. My point is that it doesn't have to be a "computer graphics" degree. As long as it's at least somewhat related to what you do, it's fine.

At least, this was the case when I moved to America in 2005.

Old 09 September 2012   #53
Ah, figured.

Anyway, seems there's a great deal of routes one could take to get any related degree. I'd be interested in hearing what others have taken, particularly online and not full-time. I'd be happiest in finding something that'd be under a year long and at the same time gainful to my career.

How about computer science, software engineering for instance. Anyone got a degree in soft-body computational programming or anything related to it, and could recommend anything?

Old 09 September 2012   #54
Originally Posted by mrcain: Without a degree I wasn't able to work in the States (when offered a job), although I was able to work in China. Really depends where you want to work I suppose, but of course it is good to have. My girlfriend has a degree, and she is always much easier in getting visas, despite my experience.

Open Uni? Does that hold up? Maybe.

Open University degrees are just as good as any degree from a bricks and mortar university

Old 09 September 2012   #55
Originally Posted by marcuso: How about computer science, software engineering for instance. Anyone got a degree in soft-body computational programming or anything related to it, and could recommend anything?

If you have some money, CADA in New York might be worth a look:

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/cada.html

A friend of mine went there many years ago, in around 2001 or 2002 I think.

They have degree courses, and various non-credit certificate courses.

Old 09 September 2012   #56
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Old 09 September 2012   #57
Originally Posted by akademus: Australian work visa (457) was ridiculous process for me as well. It took me 4 months to complete to process, I was quite lucky my employer was patient enough (I wouldn't be) to wait until its done. They asked for diploma, experience, health, character checks and heaps of other things, all translated, varified, had to mail x-rays and so on. I looked at independent visas at their immi site recently and unless you are perfect english speaking, bachelor degree with honors, 32 and welder or brick layer with significant experience you are not eligible. .

Quite frankly as an Australian expat I am glad they are strict because otherwise immigration would be one giant free for all. Your required to provide an X ray so people with tuberculosis don't spread it to everyone else. All the other rules you mention are there for a very good reason.

People need to read the rules and jump through the hoops. Ive worked all over the world and had to fullfill each countries rules. Its never been a problem so far.

B

Last edited by mr Bob : 09 September 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #58
A degree doesn't have to be expensive, 3 years for a BA in computer graphics here in Belgium is like 2000$ for the entire (!) course.
Of course these schools can't compare their programs to AM or Gnomon, but you get a cheap official BA in computer graphics. You need more training of course, you only get what you pay, so additional training is needed if you want to get into the bigger studios. But it's a great starting point.

And if you don't even need this exact program but art, photography, etc. works too, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a good local BA.

Old 09 September 2012   #59
Thanks for your answers guys!

And Zykras, yeah, but i don't know if getting a BA in Belgium will help you if want to work in the US.

Old 09 September 2012   #60
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread