Some Good News

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Some Good News

I don't publicly talk like this normally, actually, this is my first time other than my classroom, so here goes...

So, I'm a little torn by all the seemingly bad news, and I'd like to share there is good happening and developing, at least on my end, with Softimage use. Starting next Spring 2013 I've asked my IT to dual boot our Mac lab, so we can have Softimage on the Win7 side. Between 2005-2009 I taught on Softimage, then had to make the hard decision to switch to Maya (employment numbers and enrollment advantages, etc.). Now, I'm going to have both. Maya to help my students get their foot in doors, and Softimage to help them become geniuses. Since my department has already bought the Entertainment Suite, we just needed Win7 to gain access to our Softimage (and 3dsMax, but I don't use it, maybe I can get another teacher). In 2002, I started my teaching career on Lightwave, then found XSI 3.0 in 2003, and switched to XSI in 2005, then onto Maya after several failed attempts to use it, and now back to SI.

Another small but good piece of info, I helped train and counsel a small medical animation studio here in Sacramento on the use of Softimage, and they have committed to 2 seats. I know it's not huge, but is the direction I'd like my community to take.

I'm constantly telling stories of how fantastic, efficient, gorgeous, and simple for artists and programmers alike to learn Softimage. I love teaching with it. It's intuitive and the GUI is inviting (imho).

I'm connected to high schools, CCs, and 4 year programs. I think the best thing for Softimage's future is to train the next generations with it.

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Originally Posted by Stoehr: I don't publicly talk like this normally, actually, this is my first time other than my classroom, so here goes...

So, I'm a little torn by all the seemingly bad news, and I'd like to share there is good happening and developing, at least on my end, with Softimage use. Starting next Spring 2013 I've asked my IT to dual boot our Mac lab, so we can have Softimage on the Win7 side. Between 2005-2009 I taught on Softimage, then had to make the hard decision to switch to Maya (employment numbers and enrollment advantages, etc.). Now, I'm going to have both. Maya to help my students get their foot in doors, and Softimage to help them become geniuses. Since my department has already bought the Entertainment Suite, we just needed Win7 to gain access to our Softimage (and 3dsMax, but I don't use it, maybe I can get another teacher). In 2002, I started my teaching career on Lightwave, then found XSI 3.0 in 2003, and switched to XSI in 2005, then onto Maya after several failed attempts to use it, and now back to SI.

Another small but good piece of info, I helped train and counsel a small medical animation studio here in Sacramento on the use of Softimage, and they have committed to 2 seats. I know it's not huge, but is the direction I'd like my community to take.

I'm constantly telling stories of how fantastic, efficient, gorgeous, and simple for artists and programmers alike to learn Softimage. I love teaching with it. It's intuitive and the GUI is inviting (imho).

I'm connected to high schools, CCs, and 4 year programs. I think the best thing for Softimage's future is to train the next generations with it.

Great job Matthew, indeed this type of news is very encouraging indeed!!! Thanks for your efforts, they are appreciated.

Cheers,

J

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Good job!
Your effort and passion surpassed AD marketing and efforts on softimage...

Old 09 September 2012   #4
I sincerely hope my passion is infectious. I'm much better in person. Helping people is the first step to sharing the power of Softimage.

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Keep it going man. Small bits make a whole.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Nice effort. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Your enthusiasm is infectious and I hope you can infect an entire new generation with it.

I love Softimage. I use Maya too, but don't love it at all. It's more like I *use* Softimage, while I *fight* Maya.

I often find myself wondering why the hell more people aren't using Softimage. In all respects that I can think of it's both faster and easier to use than Maya. Far more intuitive and every bit as powerful.

Well maybe one day it will make a comeback. It's great to see you're doing your part though.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Thanks for sharing! Wow, what a great effort! Keep it going!

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread