Glowing Trails Behind a Character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
More MCG trails here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieX-FFgFFg

Just to give you some competition Vu'.......

12 December 2017
uploaded 2013 ?.......category.....Comedy ?.....how can i compete with that ?

12 December 2017
You posted a nice example but never actually told the poor guy on how to achieve it?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by ACiD80: You posted a nice example but never actually told the poor guy on how to achieve it?
IF, this was directed at me...
01) I had no intention of serving it to ANYONE on a silver plate...
02) he can't use it coz it's MCG, he has max 2013 (or 11)...how do I know ? coz I've helped him that MANY times in the past, I know.
03) anyone else with max 2016 or later dying to know where the FREE links are...see 01

Last edited by vusta : 12 December 2017 at 08:17 PM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Vu: uploaded 2013 ?.......category.....Comedy ?.....how can i compete with that ?
You're right - 2013 - blimey seems like a long time ago.........but you're right how could u.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by BionicDance: This is what KY_Trails does:

It's not following the border/edge of the object. It's being generated from a single point--the center, or possibly the pivot; not sure--and that's it. You can't shape it...which is what I need.

Actually, that is what Ky_trail FREE version do.
If you buy a commercial version, I think there's a possibility to do the "whole object", not just the pivot trail.
It's been a long since I used it, but if I remember correctly, it does exactly what you need.
However, render could be pretty slow.

Option B is that you use "echo" filter in After Effects, it will basically clone your video for duration much less then a frame, therefor creating trail.

Option C: Just use Particle Flow. Make a bunch of particles that is stick to your geometry, and then they "spawns" a trail of particles. If you can use Krakatoa plugin - even better. It will render faster with much more particles... I might create a Pflow scene (if I have time) with some simple textured sphere, and upload a project here.

Option D: You can try using really large motion blur, and tweak it in post (make it glow... or whatever )

12 December 2017
Ky_trailis pretty great. I mean you can do the same thing with lots of very low poly particles, but you have to do all the setup and custom materials, KY just does it out the box.

12 December 2017
This sort of thing is usually done in aftereffects

reply share thread