Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #46
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bullock
“Some of the guys who’ve seen Batman in video games over the years may have an inkling of where some of this is headed.”

Batman in this New Series:

Batman in the Video Games:

My opinion: The sooner they STOP mentioning the video games, the better. I don't think it would help the "controversy" any to compare the two.

P.S.: Speaking of the Games.... It's now WB Interactive right? Can't WB Animation just get all the assets of WB Interactive so that they can try an experiment where the new Batman show looks EXACTLY like the games?

You can still have it "PG Safe" because the level of violence, gritty content is really down to writers.

Just a thought I had. They are one group now they should be able to borrow things in and out. In China, Hong Kong, Philippines, India, and all over Asia this is a common practice in any industry for Groups/Conglomerates.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08-21-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #47
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

That interview basically reads like it's his first 3d project.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #48
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
That interview basically reads like it's his first 3d project.

Exactly what inspired my question about cross-org help!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #49
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

And now with Ben Affleck being named the new face of Bruce Wayne/Batman...I have no hope for WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
My opinion: The sooner they STOP mentioning the video games, the better. I don't think it would help the "controversy" any to compare the two.

I think I got spoiled from the video games. I really don't understand why they can't create great looking characters for a new show. Is the thought that it's too much of an overload on young children's senses?

Last edited by rhinton : 08-23-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #50
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinton
And now with Ben Affleck being named the new face of Bruce Wayne/Batman...I have no hope for WB.

I think I got spoiled from the video games. I really don't understand why they can't create great looking characters for a new show. Is the thought that it's too much of an overload on young children's senses?

You and me both... I agree that Batman can have a number of artistic approaches.. but for me the most successful art approaches have been the ones that kind of ground the thing in a sense of reality.

The Arkham games look pretty fantastical on their own, but they kind of have their own "dirt and grime" to it. Even the original Art-Deco Animated Series shows had this "long shadows" style to it, to kind of channel a film noir vibe?

The new series has none of that.

And no, I don't believe children can be "overwhelmed" by images. If anything I think the capacity for viewers to accept detail onscreen seems to go up with every generation.

You look at comic book art a long time ago, and how detailed it is today, the argument that children can't take it doesn't hold water.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #51
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

I think the budget for any one of those games is more than a whole season of any of these shows. Maybe two seasons depending on the show. But that's beside the point.

Also just because they are under an "umbrella" here doesn't mean anything, it's a network of companies more than divisions within a single company.

And without restating the overly obvious, game assets and TV show assets are usually different, at least up to this point. I will be curious when more of the high quality game engine stuff ends up getting used for more shows, because if anything seems ideally suited for episodic television, it's something like that.

As talked about upstream in this thread, it actually seems like they're trying to get away with the emptiness of the original animated series, but without any of the visual considerations that made it work. Looking back there is a lot of clunky 2D camera and action in the original show, but it was fine in 2D, and the things that did work were amazing. Haven't seen those moments in any of this yet.

I hear good things about the writing though, which can carry quite a bit.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #52
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Well right off the bat (hahaha! Pun!) I'd cite the use of Hex Code 000000 black as one of the culprits.

The smart move is always to make sure Batman isn't literally "flat black" when the medium (such as CG) calls for volume. Straight Black only really works in 2D art because it can be used to create moods and modes of interest in the image.

Once the thing has volume, you'd have to instead use a different theme (the games favored blue for example). It just seems like there was no effort made to create a "flavor" with the images.

Take that screen shot with Batman jumping off the window from the show. The black and tan/grays are too literal. And the explosion seems to have no impact on any other "line" on screen.. the shadows on the window sill seem unaffected by light and Batman himself is backlit the SAME way all around.

There were similar problems in "Starship Troopers Invasion" by the way.... it just really pulls down the mood in all footage.

I mean, if we're going past wishing the TV series would take on the detail and art style of probably a more expensive project, then I guess we'd be talking more about "what's wrong with these frames?" right?

If they needed an entire color palette range for a "multi-color" children's show? You can probably yank a color scheme from stuff like this:

Yes, I didn't like this film too.. just saying.. Colors... this show lives and dies by it.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08-23-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #53
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread