govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Texture Painter | Look Development Artist
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to govindk
FranciscoSCN, what you said is something even I assumed in the beginning before doing tests. Again this is something I understood from my tests, so I can be wrong. As I haven't seen a V-Ray proper Linear Settings from Chaos Group for Maya, though there is for 3DS Max.

The reason you gamma correct your scene(mid-tones) is to get a even lighting without blowing out areas and get details even in your darks. When you set your value to 1.0 you are not affecting anything at all. Everything is default. By adding a 2.2 gamma V-Ray understands why we do that, and affect our lighting big time.

Affect Colors check box, is merely for visual purposes.
It shows your final swatch look. Doesn't affect render in anyways, or so I assume.

And I really do not think we need to color correct our light swatches to 0.454 gamma value like we do for shaders.
I did for a RAMP, nothing changed except the intensity of the color, thereby reducing the overall cast, which I can easily do with my slider controls and do not need an extra gamma node and it did not change my lighting much. So far I am getting a proper linear workflow with the current method. Yes I have a contrast issues, but with a simple color correction NODE in Nuke I am getting amazing results and more information in my dark region.
I do not think we need to have absolute dark anywhere (unless for some particular creative reason for a shot, for example Batman in pitch darkness, emerging out ).

here's an image, if you haven't seen already. - http://imageshack.us/a/img705/7158/10796679.jpg

I do not find it easier than Mental Ray like some others mentioned though, it seems the same to me, in terms of methods.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
FranciscoSCN
Veteran

portfolio
Francisco Nogueira
Porto, PT

About the Affect Colours check box, I think you've got it mixed with the Affect Swatches one. As revilo3D said earlier (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...40&postcount=19), the Affect Colours turned off just makes it not apply these settings to the image itself. So you're NOT applying the 2.2 gamma that you've set, but using the 2.2 setting ONLY for the purpose of sample calculations. So this means VRay will still be outputting a 1.0 gamma image but sampling as if it were encoded with 2.2.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Texture Painter | Look Development Artist
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to govindk
OH !! Sorry about that mann!! I got it mixed...!!

Anyways what you said is correct, except that even you got it reversed
With Affect Color ticked on, "just makes it not apply these settings to the image itself. So you're NOT applying the 2.2 gamma that you've set, but using the 2.2 setting ONLY for the purpose of sample calculations. So this means VRay will still be outputting a 1.0 gamma image but sampling as if it were encoded with 2.2."

Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
FranciscoSCN
Veteran

portfolio
Francisco Nogueira
Porto, PT

Indeed my bad, as the setting reads "Don't Affect Colours" and not the other way around.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread