Nuke zBlur focal plane problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2011
Nuke zBlur focal plane problem

Hello all,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle! I'm a student working with Maya 2011 and Nuke 6.0 on a very DOF heavy project and so I'm trying to use Nuke's zBlur to create some super shallow DOF. The problem is, that I can't seem to set up my focal plane properly.

In this simple test I want to have the second closest ball in focus, with both foreground and background thrown out of focus - macro style. When I tick 'Focal-Plane Setup' within the zBlur node, I can't seem to get red, green and blue showing all at once, which I assume is what I need to get the effect specified above.

I've used the zBlur section from dgovil's Rendering and Compositing guide for help so far -(http://www.dgovil.com/wp-content/up...Compositing.pdf)

My images are .iffs rendered from maya, with a beauty pass and a zDepth pass.
I have shuffled my zDepth pass in Nuke, and set my zBlur math parameter to 'far=1'.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

-G

02 February 2011
From the looks of your depth map, you should be using Far=0, shouldn't you? That is, the darker parts of the depth map are further from the camera.

Now, the way ZBlur works is it requires your Z to be a channel in your primary input. The way you have it put together won't work. Use a ShuffleCopy node to add the information from your depth map to a Zdepth channel of your beauty pass. On the ShuffleCopy, you'll put the beauty into input 2 and the depth to input 1. In the lower-right dropdown, select depth from the "other layers." Then you just need to select whatever channel from your Z pass into there.

One other problem I suspect you'll have is that you haven't included any depth information for the floor, so your shadows won't get any focus treatment. You can probably fake that with a Ramp, though.

02 February 2011
Thanks for the quick reply man!

Okay so I get what you mean; I need to copy over the info from the zDepth pass into the Z channel of my beauty pass. Then the zBlur node will work as it should do, instead of using a mask.

The shuffleCopy node is just baffling me at the moment though. I have a 1920x1200 screenshot here :

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/...n318/balls2.png

I'm unsure of which boxes to tick in the shuffleCopy node. My depth pass doesn't have a z channel itself, which may complicate things - it's all rgba.

Could you show me where to go from my screenie?

Thanks again

-G

02 February 2011
I think this is what you want:

Shuffle copy is a little difficult to understand at first, but once you grok it, it totally makes sense. Hope this helps!

02 February 2011
You can just use a Copy node.

Plug your beauty into the B pipe and your depth pass into the A pipe. Then just use the first row of dropdowns to copy rgba.red to depth.Z.

02 February 2011
Thanks for the help guys!

Finally got it haha, I think it was literally the layout of the shuffleCopy properties that was confusing me.

Thanks again

-G

02 February 2011
Originally Posted by alkali22: You can just use a Copy node.

Hmmm I never even saw the Copy node. I found ShuffleCopy first and never looked for another way to do it. That one's much simpler; thanks! And hotkeyed, even.

02 February 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread