Good way to organize your rig...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Good way to organize your rig...

I'm rigging an airplane, but this question would apply for any rig, character or vehicle. How to best organize a rig in the Outliner? Is the way I do it correct?

I have a group for my character. Inside the group I have two groups, one for the mesh and one for the controllers. Since my rig doesn't have bones, that's all I need.

My mesh group is parent constrained to the root controller.

That's all, am I doing it right or should I use sets? Thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
I have everything in separate hierarchies. I don't use the outliner either, I hate that window.

I use the hypergraph for everything. I have a geoGroup, skeleGroup, and a Offlimits group.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
@TimCallaway: I've never met an animator that preferred the hypergraph over the outliner. Do your people really use it?

@Graphix72: I'd be sticking with what you have. Makes for a neat outliner and referencing works best with a single top-level group. Just make sure you lock-n-hide everything that you don't want them to animate.

And yes, I use sets if I think it will make finding the controls easier, by grouping them in a more logical way than the dag heirarchy. Same rule applies if you want more than 1 set though. Have a single top level set with the other sets in it.

David

Last edited by djx : 03 March 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #4

This is how I usually do my hierarchy
the block_GRP is for the cut up geo if it's a slower rig b/c of skinning/muscle systems.
GChat AndresMWeber
www.moving-picture.com

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by djx: @TimCallaway: I've never met an animator that preferred the hypergraph over the outliner. Do your people really use it?

Animators? I meant it's what I use. I don't let the animators touch anything except the controls I give them. If they need to go into the outliner or hypergraph while animating, I didn't do my job correctly.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thanks... and one more thing.

Thanks for the replies, especially Daemonecles for showing a pic of the Outliner. I do use the Outliner over Hypershade except for materials and some custom connections, but that's just because I'm not yet fully comfortable with a node based system. I'm getting there.

As for my second question, what is constrained to what and how in the Outliner? I mean, is there a parent constraint between the joints group and the geo group, or controllers group to geo group? I didn't see any constraints in Daemonecles picture of the Outliner.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04 April 2013   #7
The way I do it, the supermover group parent and scale constrain the skeleGroup. The offlimits group is on it's own.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
That question is a little too broad...especially since however you rig is going to determine your constraints generally. Some things I do (which are probably different from other riggers since everyone has their own workflow and preferred constraints etc):

I don't make constraints between the groups. What I usually do (if it's a skinned character) is just have a global_CTRL that has a scale constraint to the jnt_GRP, the globalScale_GRP and the block_GRP (since the block geo should only be parent constrained to the joints) and that's it since the joints will scale the main geo when they're scaled if it's skinned.

Also something to note that could make your life easier if you have to edit the rig: create an Offset group and a Con group for all your controls (make sure they're matched with pivot etc and the offset group has the original, unfrozen transforms). All outgoing parent constraints etc should be done from the con group and all incoming constraints to the control should go to the offset group. So your control should look like this:

globalOffset_GRP
  |_global_CTRL
     |_globalCon_GRP

But this is all very general and there are many exceptions/subjective situations...

Edit: well lookee there! Looks like I do something like someone else does it
GChat AndresMWeber
www.moving-picture.com

Last edited by Daemonecles : 04 April 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
I do it like you, I like to keep things nice and clean, for my own sake.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
A visual of how I do it. It's far easier for me to see what's going on in the hyperGraph.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Thanks

Thanks everyone for posting, especially for the accompanying screen shots. Some people like the Outliner, others the Hypergraph... I think they show essentially the same thing except the Hypergraph can show the hierarchy trees side by side. I'm used to the Outliner bur I'll try to work with the Hypergraph more often.
Thanks for sharing, I have a better idea of how to organize things now.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread