Newbie where do i start?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Question Newbie where do i start?

So i won a Quadro 4000 card( http://www.nvidia.com/object/produc...ro-4000-us.html ) So i want to put this to use and start a new hobby and friend of my gave me Zbrush 3 and and old copy of 3ds max......So where do i start, Should i learn to draw 1st befor i even try to do any 3d stuff and can i start in 3d from scratch. Now iam not going pro with this, just want to start a new hobby and have some from.

and my buddy gave me his log in to here. Seeing that he does not doing this stuff any more.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Dig online and explore, it's free and there is much to learn. Find beginner tutorials and intro classes on youtube/vimeo and get the hang of software to see what you like. When I first started learning I would just come up with my own projects like "hmm how can I make a space ship and animate it" That lead me to learning basic modeling, rendering and animating on a path. You might learn better with books though, I found the 3ds max bible to be a great start into max since it covered simple projects and provided files for referencing on a cd with the book.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Lynda.com is like 25$ per month... quite a good price I think.

But yeah, tons of tutorials on Vimeo.

What do you want to do? Games, VFX, Motion Graphics?

Old 02 February 2013   #4
i would think game related stuff. fantasy Aad Sci fi

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Seconding earwax.... In my opinion, when you're starting out it's a lot easier to jump in if you have a comprehensive, clear introductory tutorial to follow rather than looking stuff up every time you have a question.

I'd definitely rather watch a 10 hour introductory course that shows me the ropes than have to search through the depths of Vimeo and YouTube every time a question comes up. Lynda has a 30 day free trial, so it's as good a place to start as any.

Alternately, if you're more interested in game dev, 3DMotive is pretty great. I've been a subscriber there before and learned a ton both times I subscribed... I can't remember whether they have any introductory courses though.

The other sites (Digital Tutors, Eat3D, Gnomon, CGMW, etc.) start to get a bit more expensive. But you'll definitely progress more quickly if you're willing to spend 50 or 60 bucks for a couple months at one of the subscription sites.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Old 02 February 2013   #6
I only have the money for one.

so which on is better for me. Digital Tutors or Lynda

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Desbien: I only have the money for one.

so which on is better for me. Digital Tutors or Lynda

You could do the Lynda free trial (it's 7 days not 30, my bad), and watch the "3ds Max Essential training" and then go from there. I personally think DT is better overall though.

For ZBrush, the Pixologic ZClassroom is a good place to start, and it's free.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread