Art? or the work of a crazy person?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #151
"After all..art comes from the root ars in latin which means _SKILL_. There is little skill involved in this exhibit"

please...you tell me there is no skill in this?you got to be kidding..he accomplished everything an artist wants (ok everything i believe an artist wants). so follow me:

1- he expressed his vision
2- he did so in a very unique and original way (and you tell me that dadaists did it first..that's correct, but then.. the human figure techniques have changed little over the past 100 years..who's repeating the past? this fella or the millions of portraists? )
3- he reached his uniqueness through meditation/thinking or pure enlightment. (if as an artist you don't strive to reach a different level or perception through one of these..)
4- he created a discussion over his work. (i dont think i have to back this last one up..do i ? )

now, my opinion about this piece of art is this, but this does not mean i dislike or disrespect thos who prefer a more "realistic or traditional" approach. in fact that is what i want for myself. i just happen to see how "artistic" this piece is.

my opinion
expressed in a non-arrogant way..

Old 03 March 2006   #152
Seriously, I don't know why so many find this intriguing. If you put forth a concept of reality that is untestable, "imperceivable," and "inconceivable," then as far as objective reality is concerned, how is your concept any different from absolutely nothing?

To say that this person is enlightened because he's playing ping-pong with epistemology is kind of stupid. He's not really unique either, as philosophers throughout centuries have thought extensively about why thinking is impossible.

But hey, if you can convince everybody else that the product of their rigorous study and practice is boring and trite, and what you do is not only enlightened and unique, but as simple as pouring a glass of water, then I guess I can call you an artist of sorts.

Old 03 March 2006   #153
well..enlightment might have been an exageration..
but i like the idea the guy had..

and again..even if it was done before...so has the whole traditional arts work...and everybody respects traditional arts, because they are not simple to create but simple to understand. This "new" ways of making art are not so popular because people have to create an opinion, and that seems to be a bit to hard for some.

Now what i think of some opinions is that those persons are specially talented in traditional/representative arts and are getting a bit jealous of all the publicity this guy gets.

i believe that the whole art's spectrum should be valid and nobody had to be an ass.

Old 03 March 2006   #154
hm...very interesting. You know though...what I'm guessing is hes talking about imagination, children turning cardboard boxes into pirate ships? Thats what it sounds like to me.

Old 03 March 2006   #155
see? thats a perfectly valid point..
and the funny thing about this is that the discussion will not be over.

Old 03 March 2006   #156
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread