Cutting a shape out of a messy poly

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Cutting a shape out of a messy poly

I posted this in the quick questions thread and didn't get a response, so I'll try this.

I have a spline shape I'd like to cut out of an iphone case back. The base model was an stl so there are a lot of edges across the surface I'm trying to cut through, and shape merge and proboolean haven't provided satisfactory results. I've had a little success using procutter, but bridging the gap created by cutting through the 2 surfaces wasn't working.

I'm hoping there is an easy way to do this, I'm attaching an image showing what I'm trying to cut out ( http://imgur.com/5GnZawO )

06 June 2013
realistically, it would be more work than its worth to get that shape out of the poly you are trying to use.
I would delete the poly on the back of the case (the screwed up geo) and redo it, connecting the existing sides over the back in a fluid manner, then remove the shape from the cleaner geometry.

Then repeat your ProBoolean procedure.

06 June 2013
thanks

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I appreciate the advice. Is there any way to "repair" an .stl model like this in order to make modification easier. Or a way to copy the geometry but with better poly tesselation?

06 June 2013
There's no automatic method, what I would do is delete that large surface like he said, and add some loops to separate off the hole that's already there, you would then have some vertices to connect those rounded corners on the hole to. And then you could cut the shape into the large polygon surface.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread