Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #46
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I started reading the first few comments and then I watched the trailer. Honestly I didn't think it deserved the super harsh criticism it was getting. Yes it's rough and needs a lot of work but I see promise.

Having said that, WhiteTigerLegend, some of the criticism here has been very harsh but that doesn't make it bad. Let's say you go into an investor meeting and they view your trailer and say "This sucks" well you've already had to deal with this here and you are ready to respond. Let me tell you from experience, investors are going to be way worse than these guys. At least here you can expect that you are talking to trained artists (hopefully ). There, it always feels like you're talking to a business person who is clueless and won't give you the time of day. Be ready for that. Develop what is called your "elevator pitch". In other words, by chance you meet an investor in an elevator and you have a short time to sell him. Be ready for that.

Back to the crits, take the good and the bad. Sure a haters gonna hate but don't dismiss someone as a hater just because they fell on you like a ton of bricks. Maybe the person has already tried and failed what you are doing and they are bitter. Use that to strengthen your resolve, stiffen your back and get at it.

In conclusion, the trailer shows promise but it still needs a lot of work. Don't let that discourage you.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
Thearetical
portfolio
Thea P
USA

I just wanted to say thank you to Hu Yuan for inspiring me that it's possible to do such an epic project solo. I really admire your tenacity, and the hard work you've obviously done to get this far.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the visual quality of the film, because as you said, this is a work in progress and there's a lot you'd like to accomplish before releasing it to a wider audiences. I hope you find your funding to do just that.

I'm sorry that you've received some harsh comments in this thread (in my opinion, harsh insults do not equate to honest and constructive criticism, but others would seem to disagree). I think your mistake in this particular instance was posting a WIP as a finished product, especially in a community made up of professional visual artists. Pro vis artists tend to believe that the way a project looks is indicative of its value, above the story or editing or other essential aspects that make up a film. And to them, it is, because it's all a matter of opinion. I'm in the story camp myself...I adore beautiful and well-done visuals, but good storytelling will win me over every time, no matter what it looks like. (Just look at the popularity of XKCD, a prime example in the webcomics world.)

That said, I'm truly impressed with what you've been able to do so far primarily on your own, and with self-funding no less. Kudos! Keep it up, because no matter what negative feedback you receive, you're still accomplishing something that 99.9% of us will never ever do.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #48
Pentagramma
Galactic Hitchhiker
portfolio
Alê Camargo
3d Artist / Animation Director
Buba Filmes
São Paulo, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearetical
That said, I'm truly impressed with what you've been able to do so far primarily on your own, and with self-funding no less. Kudos! Keep it up, because no matter what negative feedback you receive, you're still accomplishing something that 99.9% of us will never ever do.

This.

Keep fighting the good fight, I'm looking forward to watching the whole film.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #49
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread