Question regarding textures when final render is for print

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Question Question regarding textures when final render is for print

Hello everyone,

I am doing some pre research for a personal project, int he past I have always done things for animation but this time I am going to make something for printing. But I had some questions regarding planning my things out when it comes to things as texturing and such.

When it came to animation textures in some ways could be about 4k and such in size. However I am taking a look at things such as height/width and resolution; seen as print takes a resolution of 300 points per inch I am wondering how much this affects the size of the texture. Which is also my question.

I am looking at a print the size of an A3 at least (H: 3507 and B: 4962).
I have been told 6k is the minimum and normally people work on 8k. But before anyone starts asking me why and I can't properly formulate my reasons I am doing some asking around.

Beside the fact that you look longer at a single image and therefore can makeout mistakes a lot easier is there also a relation between the dpi also and a higher resolution for textures?

I am asking this because it is something I am setting up in a limited time (before I start setting up my project which depending on the amount of work will be 1 or 2 printed works) and so that I don't have any promises I can't keep due to it being too much work than anticipated.

Thank you very much for replying!

Old 12 December 2013   #2
I'll first look at the camera angle I'm rendering and probably only concentrate on visible textures. I might even do a texture projection so I'm not wasting time with stuff I don't see. If you do it this way, 6k would be suffice.

I'd also think about things I can add in Photoshop to save render time.

Old 12 December 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread