How far are Canadian studios willing to sponsor fresh graduates?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by technokill
So something I can't figure out on my own right now, even after what's been discussed here, is in which country I should focus my energy towards finding a good school/college. US, Canada, Europe or land down under.

Just bear in mind that not all the countries there in your list offer visas to graduates.

Old 08 August 2014   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Just bear in mind that not all the countries there in your list offer visas to graduates.

Can you elaborate on that? As far as my research, all of them have some kind of visa for graduates. In Europe, I took a look at UK and France.

Old 08 August 2014   #18
Quote:
Can you elaborate on that? As far as my research, all of them have some kind of visa for graduates. In Europe, I took a look at UK and France.

In Canada you do not get a work visa after graduating. So if you come to VFS from Brazil, you will have to go back right after you finish your studies. I have a lot of Brazilian friends who graduated from VFS and couldn't find a job here because the companies will not consider someone without a work permit.

Old 08 August 2014   #19
Quote:

I don't know about France, but in the UK it'd be a Tier 2 visa, for which you'd still need a job offer from a company willing to sponsor the visa. However, considering there's a minimum salary requirement, and considering the fact that the job you'd most likely be offered as a grad would be a runner position, I don't think you'd be eligible for that visa, as a runner salary is very low. That's over and above the fact that a studio would be highly unlikely to sponsor a visa for a grad anyway.

I'm sorry, but the advice that myself and others posted earlier remains your best get: get a few years of experience in your home country before attempting a move abroad.

Old 08 August 2014   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
In Canada you do not get a work visa after graduating.

Yes you could. OP's better off taking a longer program though than one that only goes for less than a year.. See details why.

From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

Quote:
To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements.

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

Old 08 August 2014   #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy McGee
Yes you could. OP's better off taking a longer program though than one that only goes for less than a year.. See details why.

From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

Exactly. And Australia:

Quote:
The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.

Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

And US has the OPT program:

Quote:
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment directly related to an F-1 student's major area of study. OPT is designed to give the foreign student an opportunity to further their education by gaining practical experience.
OPT is usually available after the successful completion of an academic program (post-completion OPT).
However, it is possible to do pre-completion OPT in certain circumstances as described below. The total duration of pre-completion and post-completion OPT is 12 months, unless eligible for STEM OPT extension[1] of 17 months (for a total duration of 29 months). In other words, any period of pre-completion OPT is deducted from the available periods of post-completion OPT.

Old 09 September 2014   #22
Dunno in other countries, but in Canada as an international student you're allowed to work outside your school without the need for a work permit. You're allowed 20 hours per week and can do full time when your school's on break. So it's possible to legally do contract, freelance work, or unpaid internship along with your formal studies so you can pile up production credits (work experience!) before you graduate.

And...with the post-grad work permit, it doesn't require company sponsorship. Yeah, you can work for an American studio in Canada while being a citizen of another country!

If you're a Vancouver resident, for example because maybe you'll go to a school there, you'll have a better chance of landing local vfx/game jobs (assuming your portfolio's good) than a qualified Canadian citizen but who's applying from another province, because of how province-specific subsidies work.

And...all the years you're residing in Canada you can use kinda like points towards getting permanent resident status and Canadian citizenship if you so choose in the future.

Old 09 September 2014   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy McGee
Dunno in other countries, but in Canada as an international student you're allowed to work outside your school without the need for a work permit. You're allowed 20 hours per week and can do full time when your school's on break. So it's possible to legally do contract, freelance work, or unpaid internship along with your formal studies so you can pile up production credits (work experience!) before you graduate.

And...with the post-grad work permit, it doesn't require company sponsorship. Yeah, you can work for an American studio in Canada while being a citizen of another country!

If you're a Vancouver resident, for example because maybe you'll go to a school there, you'll have a better chance of landing local vfx/game jobs (assuming your portfolio's good) than a qualified Canadian citizen but who's applying from another province, because of how province-specific subsidies work.

And...all the years you're residing in Canada you can use kinda like points towards getting permanent resident status and Canadian citizenship if you so choose in the future.

Mann thank you so much for that Even though I now it's still risky, great to know some real and concrete facts regarding my future options!

Canada is indeed a great place. Their receptiveness to foreigners is not unheard of and I enjoyed the months I spent at Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver!

One problem though is the huge gap I saw between American and Canadian art schools. While US has plenty of options with tons of art foundations, mixing 2d+3d and a strong focus on the entertainment industry, Canadian counterparts are more narrow.
I haven't found yet a school with a good mix of 2d foundations and 3d art. Most of them are strictly animation (which I don't want to do), or general VFX+3d (software only, without design/art to back it up) or 2d illustration (with tons of experimental stuff, children illustration, and a variety of things NOT related to entertainment).

reply share thread