Sketchbook: Tom De Vis

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Sketchbook: Tom De Vis

Greetings to everybody visiting.
This is my second sketchbook here on CGTalk but most images can no longer be found so
I'm currently hosting them on my own site, which you can visit over at www.TomDeVis.com .
Also feel free to follow me on my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/DeVisTom .

I'm currently studying traditional oils, which gives me many insights which I hope will be visible in my work.
Hoping you'll enjoy.

Last edited by TomDeVis : 05 May 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
You just destroyed me ... :P great works I should say, But i like a first portrait the most, maybe because there's nice balance between details and rough surrounding plus nice colors.... but that;'s my opinion... .... ;-)

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thank you for the reply marowak. I'm not sure what you mean with "You just destroyed me..." but I'm taking it as a compliment ! Thank you
And the first portrait was also my favourite.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeVis
Greetings to everybody visiting.
This is my second sketchbook here on CGTalk but most images can no longer be found so
I'm currently hosting them on my own site, which you can visit over at www.TomDeVis.com .
Also feel free to follow me on my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/DeVisTom .

I'm currently studying traditional oils, which gives me many insights which I hope will be visible in my work.
Hoping you'll enjoy.

Glad to see you created a new second sketchbook thread. Never seen your first one but looking at these works I wish I could have witnessed the older works and can see the gradual progress. I see you know enough about anatomy to make a convincing illustration/painting. The only comment I can say because of that is to have a higher dynamic range of value using lighting as way of means to do so. These two works I added to the quote, I would like to show as an example. The first image in the green hue is mostly in a dark setting and does not have much consistency between shades from pitch black to lightest whites with neutral grey in the middle. Stating that I am saying that with more variation in your tonal palette this could be a great painting that will be highly convincing and a memorable portrait, since it already has content that is persuasive to the viewer. Now this second picture of the female holding the dragon head in the pawn shop may need a bit more darks and pitch black tones to make it interesting to visually look at. To note the picture is mostly on the white to middle neutral gray tones and needs a bit variety by using the righter shades of the tonal palette which would be the darker grays to pitch black.
Attached below is a simple Gray Scale chart by Kodak that can help when selecting different tones. It also has the RGB value number for more consistency selecting in the 2D application color picker of your choice.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Actually I noticed something when reviewing your work again. That is you ignore ears and try to conceal them so the viewer does not notice them. I say to practice studying the anatomy of ears to have stronger works and does not have a weakness. But nonetheless I only noticed that after reviewing your works a second time.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread