The end of another year! What are your personal highlights?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Congrats to everyone who had a child born in 2012!

Agreed, congratulations!

For me having steady freelance work the entire year was great, but as far as the best moment? Hadn't seen my 2 year old nephew in a long time (in 2 year old standards), and went to visit. I was convinced he wouldn't remember me but when my sister and I walked in his room to wake him up (I flew in late at night so hadn't seen him yet) he opened his eyes, looked at me, and with a sleepy grin said "Hi Uncle Mike." It's not much, but it stuck with me. Really love the guy and wish I could see him more often.

Otherwise met tons of new, awesome people, learned a lot, worked on a bunch of really fun jobs, and have decided in this coming year to do more traveling. Iceland is definitely on my list.

Love this thread, cheers me up reading it. Happy 2013 everyone!

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 12 December 2012   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
looking forward to the end of the world so i can take a vacation. lol

You're gonna have to wait 48 hours. The world ends on the 21st...

Old 12 December 2012   #48
We have a tradition at the company to use our spare time to do an R&D project in the form of a Christmas card, so this year I decided to learn some programing.

I've only done a bit of programing in the past (mostly Turing) so I'd say this turned out pretty well:
The web version (MUST have UNITY installed to play):
http://www2.invivo.ca/Invivo/holidaycard2012/pages/web

Big thanks to the rest of the team with helping out with the design and programing of the menus, and providing the fantastic voice-over :-)

Merry everything everyone!

Last edited by DanHibiki : 12 December 2012 at 06:18 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #49
Personal highlight?

Finding out that a guy who ripped me off, as well as a few really talented and enthusiastic young artists, got hit by a bus.

Old 12 December 2012   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by forelle
It's been another good year for Mari.

Some great releases, some very hard work, lots of travel.

9/10 of the VFX Oscar nominations this year used Mari for their texture painting, which isn't bad.

Having Mari used in high end gaming for the first time was nice.

I think next year will be a big one. Some very interesting stuff on the Horizon which should shake things up a bit.

That's fantastic news, Jack. You guys must be stoked.

Old 12 December 2012   #51
Mine would be that I've managed to get in at least an hour of anatomy study continually for the past 6 months. My most concrete effort so far, haha! Don't know where this is leading to, but I've been enjoying the journey so far.
Shape from that thy work of art.
-Longfellow

Old 12 December 2012   #52
Didn't do much animation work this year but I had an exciting time doing graphic design.
For years now, I've been working with Johnny Jewel of the "Italians Do It Better" record label. They've slowly been getting bigger and bigger over the last decade but in 2012 they've really gone up to a new level of success. 2013 promises to be even bigger so I'll be busy design album covers, posters, etc for all the coming projects.

Old 12 December 2012   #53
My highlight of the year on cgtalk? Leigh finally changed her profile.

In all honesty, let's see:
- Changed positions, but at the same school different department
- taught in Poland and Ukraine for a second time over the summer
- Traveled all over Europe this time: Paris, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin...all first time visits
- broke another girl's heart
- which broke mine later
- beat Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Borderlands, Dishonored, etc....yes these are real goals
- finished an actual 3D still of my own - this is not easy when you teach 200+ students, still afraid to post it

Last edited by MrPositive : 12 December 2012 at 06:43 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #54
Been able to work in some big studios here in Vancouver Not bad for my second year in the industry. Good year indeed and am grateful for all my experience so far. Hopefully next year will be even better !

Old 12 December 2012   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPositive
- finished an actual 3D still of my own - this is not easy when you teach 200+ students, still afraid to post it

Oh, don't be a tease!

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 12 December 2012   #56
Man, 2012... It was a year of all sorts of highlights. Not many of them work related, though I continue to have a great job with great coworkers. We did move our office downtown into a new space which is beautiful.

But yeah, about a year and change ago we found out we were having a little one. So 2012 was mostly changing mindset, environment and our worlds in general to get ready for that then the rest of the year has been spent with Jr.

Crazy how fast it went by. A year ago we were getting ready for our last vacation we would be able to take for a while and here we are with a 5 month old baby who rocks and both of us (wife and I) with solid fun jobs.

congrats to the other new parents out there Cant wait to see what 2013 has to offer.

Old 12 December 2012   #57
I'm lurking a lot around here, but I want to tell the people how this year was amazing for me :

-traveled in New Zealand, picked 70 tons of apples, climbed mount Doom
-studied at Escape Studios during summer
-Got my first job in the VFX industry at Framestore !

Old 12 December 2012   #58
Althou really throu the end but I started working for Olympos Has Fallen as FX TD at Worldwide FX.
vimeo.com/user7844693

Old 12 December 2012   #59
i know i posted something earlier, but i just wanted to add... that i found CGSociety this year and have been quite inspired by it and the artists' work i get to see.

Old 12 December 2012   #60
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread