Gladiator

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Gladiator

Hello there, I haven't posted anything in here since 2009, I partially gave up on painting, as I wasn't very glad with what I could achieve by that time. Although it's nice and refreshing to be back! This time I'd like to share with you some in-progress pictures of my latest painting (I plan on updating this thread). The painting itself is meant to be a fantasy piece, inspired by some mmorpg games I played, Aion mostly, and so is the costume design. I'm currently struggling with the character's legs, firstly I wanted to give her a floating look, but as few people suggested it wouldn't look very well. I'm trying to find a good pose that could make her look capable of wielding a sword but also light at the same time. I'm a Wacom tablet & Photoshop CS3 user. I'll appreciate some hints and C&C as it's not the final version yet and I surely like to change the whole conception quite often
I'm sorry about the watermarks, but I'm annoyed by art thefts.

My reference picture:

Old 06 June 2012   #2
It looks like you have pretty good photo reference to work from, so that's a plus.

The pose is a bit iffy, because you have her wielding a sword, yet her other hand is a typical soft, alluring female hand gesture, and the toes pointing inward also conveys a kind of cute, soft stance--they don't quite match her warrior identity. What kind of message is she conveying with her body language? "I'm cute and feminine. Come hither, and I'll slay you"? It's important to think about the psychological/emotional state, as well as the personality of the character you are portraying.

I'm not too crazy about the background, but it's a matter of subjective taste. I personally would prefer something more down-to-earth, but I don't know anything about this character. Maybe she's a Goddess/Deity and that's why you chose such a background?

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Hello, thanks for your helpful post! I think a painting should defend itself, but let me explain few things as you asked some questions. The very first title of this picture was "Pegasus"; when I was creating this character I liked to think she was some kind of a mythical creature that had taken a human form to seek a revenge (this would explain all the rainbow colours and the sword). I think of adding some feathers beneath her feet at the final stage of painting. Although I have to admit what you pointed out is correct and accurate, it helped me to understand the viewer's point of view. Focused on improving painting skills, I never bothered to think of the whole scene's mood or character's personality. I'm going to take your advice while creating new arts.
Today I've finally found some time to paint and I'm happy to publish a new picture showing a small progress. I realize her feet need a major fix, I'm not entirely glad with the boots texture (yet) either.

Last edited by Harakun : 07 July 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread