Network rendering - Error server config file does not exist.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
Originally Posted by KellyM: I built a server rack at home around 2008 or so. I bought used IBM 345 model dual xeon servers (and one dual Opteron x64) with at least 1GB ram and the machines range from 2GHz to 2.8GHz. It was a great setup for the time. I often spent around a server $300 so it didn't cost a lot. Now days you can by a 3GHz dual xeon quad IBM server with 32GB RAM for $1,000 which is even cheaper as that's eight physical cores and takes up 75% less space.

I rarely boot my rack anymore at home as the older x32 servers just don't cut it. Also no PCIe slots to support GPU rendering. Now that I look on eBay maybe it's time I get it back online. Two 2U eight core servers would be really nice.

Yeah, that's the problem with 1U and 2U cases, you really can't fit any good cards in them. I'm not really concerned about gpu rendering though, I plan on just using cpus with a gpu built into them, like intel ivy bridge or amd trinity for my server, so you don't even need a motherboard with one built in. The only real need for a gpu, that I could see, on a server would be for tweaking your 3d scenes, or maybe browsing on the internet. I wonder if there are any decent motherboards that support dual ivy bridge processors.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
getting back to the original topic - I too am having the same error on backburner 2014
(3dsmax adapter error : Error server config file does not exist)

I have just updated our render nodes and workstations from 2010 to 2014. All but 5 of our 50+ machines are using windows 7 so xp isn't the main issue here for me. It seems to happen once per job for each machine and then it works for the rest of the job... quite annoying on split scanline jobs because BB seems to reassign the job to a different machine rather than retrying on a failed machine with this error so i end up with a long list of errors before it eventually trys a failed machine again which then works.

Does anyone know what's causing it and/or if there's a fix or workaround?

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread