Afterburn

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2011   #1126
Self Shadow On = Crash

Hi all, I'm a hobbyist, and I've been trying to learn Afterburn following some online tutorials I've found. I'm using 3ds Max with vray 2, and AB4.0. I set up a simple scene with a PF Source, and a standard spot light with shadows turned on (I've tried all shadow types). I also turn on atmospheric shadows. I delete the rotation and shapes elements in particle view, and add an ABPflow element. I add the abpflow and light to AB and leave everything at default. If I render the scene without self shadows on, it renders (but no shadows). If I turn on self shadows, almost everytime, Max crashes to desktop. Sometimes Vray posts an error "...render region xxx...", but the dialog says that although Vray generated the message, it may not be responsible for the error.

My system is dual opteron 6170s on an Asus Kgpe-D16 board, 24g ram, Quadro 2000, an intel 120g ssd for my OS, a hybrid drive where my programs live, and a couple other drives for storage. Oh, and win7 ultimate 64 bit.

I certainly will appreciate if anyone can help me solve this problem.

Old 02 February 2012   #1127
So... we just updated all our stuff to max 2012. We have new installers and lic info for both fume and ab. The lic info is all good. Fume will sim and render. Afterburn however I can get into the plugin just fine fiddle with settings and so forth. However It will not render.. it renders to straight black. I have no idea why. Old files from max 2010 don't render even the sample scenes just render to black. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a DCPFLICS issue? I know the new stuff uses AfterFlics. Both are on my work machine.

Old 04 April 2012   #1128
are you using the new afterflics license server?

Old 04 April 2012   #1129
Ya we have all that figured out now... Thanks.

Old 04 April 2012   #1130
AfterBurn 4.1 was released a few days ago which fixes the problem and adds a Max2013 installer! I have to admit that new release totally flew under my radar until yesterday. Updated immediately. You might get an "AfterBurn Glow" loading error for duplicate IDs if you had former AfterBurn builds installed. Just remove the old Afterburn.flt file to fix this.

-Anselm

Old 04 April 2012   #1131
Were on 2012 still at work. Hmm I will let IT know to grab it for us. Thanks!

reply share thread