Particle Emission (debris) based on velocity of shattered meshes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Particle Emission (debris) based on velocity of shattered meshes

Hi guys,

Sorry if you have already seen this type of questions but I have found no solution yet.

I have done a PDI sim, get my interior faces to have a different material and now i would like to be able to emit debris just for a few frames. The emission should be attached to the velocity of my main sim, to get realistic result.

So if someone can help, it would be gret!

Thanks in advance, have a good day.

06 June 2013
To make particles adquire the velocity of the fragments you have to increase the
emission attributes->inherit factor in the extend you like, thats easy

06 June 2013
Haha thanks,

I was expecting something more complicated!

Merci

07 July 2013
Fracture FX has a feature implemented just for that. Here is a little tutorial on it:
https://vimeo.com/53828173

07 July 2013
I wouldn't advise you to use fracturefx, we bought licenses where i work, and it's been only problems since then. Many bugs, not stable, weird results, and the support is not that good (sometimes 1 week to get an answer)

Of course, drgonzo will tell you the contrary, but that's is job to make the maximum of people buy is product even if it's not usable in production so he's not gonna approve. Anyway do what you want but you are warned.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by lovedebri: To make particles adquire the velocity of the fragments you have to increase the
emission attributes->inherit factor in the extend you like, thats easy

This is not the same as the OP is asking.

Nor is this exactly but maybe it can be helpful in conjunction with an expression to emit based on velocity - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...726#post7605726

Its quick down and dirty and not always nice, but at least it works...

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

07 July 2013
Quote: I wouldn't advise you to use fracturefx, we bought licenses where i work, and it's been only problems since then. Many bugs, not stable, weird results, and the support is not that good (sometimes 1 week to get an answer) .
Methinks you are a troll, but please use the Fracture FX support forum for any concerns/suggestions/bugs you might have. If you are indeed client, you should have access to the forum. Using our dedicated support forum (and not a random message on a public forum) will also guarantee swift feedback (usually a few hours, not days like you claim).

On top of all this, you seem to have a lot of harsh and unfounded criticism for somebody who is a self-admitted newbie to VFX and still looking for a job. As you state yourself on this thread
Quote: I'm a maya beginner, i'm searching a course to take in France to learn it (that's not what this post is about).
I'd like to worh the movie industry andspecialize, with time, in VFX (explosions, fire, smoke, water etc.). I'm fascinating by VFX quality of nowadays (my references in term of VFX are total recall 2012, Avengers, Avatar and Transformers).

Despite your crass behavior, here is some advise: if you indeed "like to worh the movie industry andspecialize, with time, in VFX (explosions, fire, smoke, water etc.).", try to befriend people in the industry, not piss them off.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by babdaddy: Hi guys,

Sorry if you have already seen this type of questions but I have found no solution yet.

I have done a PDI sim, get my interior faces to have a different material and now i would like to be able to emit debris just for a few frames. The emission should be attached to the velocity of my main sim, to get realistic result.

So if someone can help, it would be gret!

Thanks in advance, have a good day.
To get realistic result, none of PDI or fracturefx will do the job. They are far too slow, unstable and simply not made for anything more than independant job. So rayfire if you can work on it (but max only) that's what would give you the most amazing results and if you are maya user only, the only solution you got (even if it's not rayfire level) it's DMM.

Opinion shared too by all the people i started to work with.

07 July 2013
Hey Memo, can you show any of your works in dynamics? your criticism is far too negative, I would like to check your knowledge about the topic

I have to tell you Pulldownit solver is proven at least 2.5 faster computing than Bullet solver, which is used in realtime becouse of its speed, so PDI cannot be "too slow computing" as you say, PDi is also extremely stable and very well integrated in Maya, all our users are very happy so far, Pulldownit 1.x was used in Harry Potter VII and other movies, and now it is v 2.0 with more features and better workflow, but you can check all of this just by trying free versión in Maya, I suggest you to try the tools before criticizing it in such a bad way

07 July 2013
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, but working hard at the moment.
Thanks Howard, as always, you're the man. Really appreciate.

And by the Way guys, the war about wich plug is the best, will stop someday?
To my concern, i tried pdi, dmm, BC etc. And they all have nice features
You can not tell one is better than another because if you take dmm, it looks the best
for realistic material deformation but it is quite low to simulate.
In another hand you have pdi wich is super fast and does great prefracturing etc.

I am just trying to say that the perfect plug in does not exist so it doesent makes
sense to say This plug is Sh** blabla.

We all have our own opinion and the reality is that a plug can be useless in a prod and become THE saviour in an other prod.

Anyway this is my humble opinion because i'm tired to see how a topic can become Bagdad just to show wich plug has the bigger di..

5am, time to sleep.

Andy.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: Hey Memo, can you show any of your works in dynamics? your criticism is far too negative, I would like to check your knowledge about the topic

I have to tell you Pulldownit solver is proven at least 2.5 faster computing than Bullet solver, which is used in realtime becouse of its speed, so PDI cannot be "too slow computing" as you say, PDi is also extremely stable and very well integrated in Maya, all our users are very happy so far, Pulldownit 1.x was used in Harry Potter VII and other movies, and now it is v 2.0 with more features and better workflow, but you can check all of this just by trying free versión in Maya, I suggest you to try the tools before criticizing it in such a bad way
Why would i need to show you any of my work? Do i need to prove you anything?

My criticism is far too negative so i didn't try your plugin...hummmm interesting reaction...but no, it's simply called an OPINION (you should check the definition) and we live in a magic world where a person can magically have a different opinion than yours and that doesn't make what he says less right than what you say. You seem to take every criticism that will go in the sense "your plugin rocks" for the truth and anybody who will not agree and not be convinced by pulldownit or fracturefx should have to prove you anything to you ? Are you serious?

But congratulations if ALL your users are very happy with your plugins like you say, let me tell you that it makes your company the first company in the world to have 100% of satisfied users! That's just amazing, respect! It never happened before but you made it! It makes what you say even more credible.

But who could blame the creator of a plugin to go with the "my plugin is great blabla" that's your job to sell the maximum of them. I don't blame you for jumping on every threads about fracturing over the internet to try to convince people of how incredible is your plugin.
Don't you think that If it was that good you'll have to try so hard to convince people all the time? Don't you think that if it was that good it would be used in more significant productions?

And maybe instead of asking to see people's work maybe YOU should show to people some showreels don't you think? Because all i see is "it's been used in harry potter...and other films"...why not naming those "other films" if it results in good fracturing job, huh? Why not making a showreel with some amazing works it has done on significant movies (none independant movie/work)? Because when i go on your website, what amazing user stories i see i must admit (same thing for fracturefx). Each work we can see on this page look cheap (yeah that's called MY opinion) so i understand why you try so hard on forums to make believe that your plugin can be used in production. That's the obvious reaction

So again, that you like it or not, ME (and people i work with) were not convinced by pulldownit nor fracturefx, sorry for that, but i'm sure you could sleep ok tonight tough.
I'm blown away by rayfire, yes and even if it's below rayfire, the only good solution for fracturing on maya is DMM (again MY opinion, so respect it, thanks). I know your opinion and the one of fracturefx creator, and that's normal, and they are obvious opinions about your own plugins... that's your job to try to gain as much as customers as you can no matter. So go on guys, continue to make them dreams with fame stars in their eyes.

But let finish on a positive note: pulldownit and fracturefx are perfect for independant works and some TV shows...the only problem is that pulldownit and fracturefx are respectively 50$ and 100$ more expensive than DMM plugin...which do a much better job at fracturing than your plugins arg i'm sorry, i couldn't finish on a real positive note).

So my final choice:

Best fracutring plugin for max: rayfire (the one and only)
Best fracturing plugin for maya: DMM (far above the others in my opinion)

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread