Maya equivalent of 3dsMax's User Paths - External Files ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Maya equivalent of 3dsMax's User Paths - External Files ?

Hi guys,
Does Maya have an equivalent of 3dsMax's Configure - User Paths - External Files ?

Here is more complicated run down of what I'm trying to do:

I'm trying to get a custom exporter to work with relative paths so that I don't have to remap all textures from a source folder to a destination folder.
I have the initial files in
c:/source_art/maya_file.mb
c:/source_art/maps/texture.bmp

I want to export to
c:/special_folder/maya_file.our_format
c:/special_folder/maps/texture.bmp

I have set up a project folder set up as c:/source_art/ and all the texture paths are relative (e.g. the texture shows /maps/texture.bmp)

The problem is that unless I specifically REMAP the texture to the export location "c:/special_folder/maps/texture.bmp" the exporter complains that the texture is located in the c:/source_art/maps directory. Note, the exporter will automatically move the texture but it doesn't re-map it.

I get around this in 3dsMax by using relative paths and having a User Path - External File folder that points to the export directory, but I cannot find the equivalent in Maya.

Thanks.

04 April 2013
maya env file you can set the paths there

04 April 2013
Thanks
I'm not entirely sure what to put in there so that Maya knows to look for textures and files. From the documentation it says that the maya.env should take the format of
<NAME>=<value>
Examples of <Name> include MAYA_APP_DIR, MAYA_FILE_ICON_PATH, MAYA_MODULE_PATH e.t.c. but nothing that looks like it should cause Maya to look for textures in another location.

04 April 2013
Figured it out

I just need %WHATEVER_I_CALLED_IT%relative/path as the texture reference.

Thanks for your help.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread