VFX schools in post graduate/masters level

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2014
VFX schools in post graduate/masters level

hi, i am currently pursuing my final year in B.SC. in animation and multimedia in india. i am interetsed in pursuing VFX at post graduation level and do some sort of specialization course in it. but since i cannot afford heavy tuition fees i would like you guyz out there to suggest me some good VFX schools that i can apply to.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by ayrus: hi, i am currently pursuing my final year in B.SC. in animation and multimedia in india. i am interetsed in pursuing VFX at post graduation level and do some sort of specialization course in it. but since i cannot afford heavy tuition fees i would like you guyz out there to suggest me some good VFX schools that i can apply to.

Few questions before I give my suggestion:
Let us first understand what is your budget?
or an approx amount that you can afford?
and are you planning to do Masters in India ?? or abroad ??

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by aqua9: Few questions before I give my suggestion:
Let us first understand what is your budget?
or an approx amount that you can afford?
and are you planning to do Masters in India ?? or abroad ??

well first of all sorry for late reply...
my budget is very limited. i cannot pay more than 10 lakh. this is also when i will be taking a loan. so, u can understand that budget is big problem in my case. and i am ready to do my masters from anywhere in this world if the place has a good reputation and economical. i can pay more but cannot exceed 15 lakh in any case. my field of interest is basically compositing and i am quite familiar with layer based compositing techniques as well as nodal based techniques as of right now.so, i will prefer a masters in this area.

02 February 2014
Smile still waiting for a reply....

it's been a long time guyz. plz do post some replies and help me out here...

03 March 2014
Hey ayrus,
Let me look at the possibilities with info provided by you, will get back to you soon.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by ayrus: well first of all sorry for late reply...
my budget is very limited. i cannot pay more than 10 lakh. this is also when i will be taking a loan. so, u can understand that budget is big problem in my case. and i am ready to do my masters from anywhere in this world if the place has a good reputation and economical. i can pay more but cannot exceed 15 lakh in any case. my field of interest is basically compositing and i am quite familiar with layer based compositing techniques as well as nodal based techniques as of right now.so, i will prefer a masters in this area.

Have you checked out with any schools ??
do you have any school specifically which you believe will come in your budget?
Coz, with the mentioned budget, I think, getting a Masters/Post Graduate degree will be hard.
I am sure there are such universities and schools around the globe which will be in your budget, but I dont think the quality and training will be on par with the listed universities or schools such as Gnomon, Academy of Art etc.,
You might want to take a look at these schools and colleges in North and South America
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=285&t=748071
Try searching in other countries, I think theres a university in New Zealand am not sure about its name.
Try looking for the places where you will have scope to get a job also. If in USA you will not have any problem getting a job if the market is good. UK I dont think there will be a problem, but if the market is good. New Zealand theres WETA Digital and other studios.

Gnomon's 2 year program is equivalent to a Masters Degree but like I said the tuition fee, they are too high. Try to decide by calculating every university fee into rupees and looking at what all they are providing..... the teachers the labs and other stuff.

You might want to look at Whistling Woods and FX School in Mumbai.
In Mumbai you will have good scope of getting a job as it is the hub for Indian cinema, and there are some international and good studios around in Mumbai.
Check out for schools in Mumbai and Pune, good ones are there.

Hope this info helps you in your search.

Let me know whats going on

Cheers

03 March 2014
Hey there,
Just to add to the information.
Its not necessary to have a Post Graduate/Masters Degree to get good opportunities in VFX.
Everything is based only on a good DemoReel and the industry connections.
So look for the school which will give you both. A good Demoreel and good assistance for placements or good exposure to the industry.

I've just checked Whistling Woods International School website
They have a 2 year Diploma in VFX, seems to be good placement support.
Very good industry connections as it is owned by the popular Film maker.
Above all, it is within your budget.

If you are looking forward to study abroad then you should work with your finances also. As you said that your budget is 10L and at the Max you will make 15L. It's not only tuition fees you should consider, you should lookout for your daily needs and your monthly expenses, which will again will be costly. So, keep all those in view and decide.

Best of Luck and keep us updated

03 March 2014
You can check out ICAT Banglaore. Fees are quite high but doesn't reach upto 10 lacs if i am correct.

03 March 2014
thanks for this post

reply share thread