Can anyone give me critiques on this?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
A female magician...need critiques...please...

I know it's not good enough, it has been rejected from the 2D gallery. I put a lot of effort in...can anyone give me some critiques to this image? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg energy sm1.jpg (70.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by rosesavels : 09 September 2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: rename

09 September 2012
http://features.cgsociety.org/newga...53061_large.jpg

The larger version...

09 September 2012
The over saturated color, and similar values throughout the scene, are flattening this image out and diminishing its potential quality. The over saturated background is overwhelming the subject, drowning out its significance. Sunsets/sunrises are tricky and require a good understanding of color and value relationship to pull off. For example, the sun is never darker than the surrounding sky at sunset/sunrise (in any position in the sky) as your depiction of it is (if that red orb in your painting is the sun). Your sky also has a motion blur effect going on for some reason.
Convert your image to grayscale to see how flat the overall values are. A well value composed painting will look good in grayscale as well as in color.

Last edited by Quadart : 09 September 2012 at 10:56 AM.

09 September 2012
Thank you very much! Now I realize I should work on value harder...indeed, it looks flat if desaturates. And funny how the sun, as you mentioned, I never realize it should be the brightest among others...thanks for reminding!

09 September 2012
You may also want to reduce the thickness of the fingers. They look manly at the moment.

There is a lot of love on the hair, but you may also want to give some love to the clothes as well. The foldings on the clothes looks very simplistic, in my opinion. There is also no suggestion of the dawn glow on the clothes or shadow from being blocked by the head at the tiop area of the clothes. The hair can glow a little at the edge form the dawn sun.

Eyebrows looks like they can be done in a single brush stroke. Maybe add a little bit small brows near the nose T area.

I think the composition is very nice, have good potiential, but you need to fine tune many areas.

Cheers

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread