whats best buy of a MOCAP hardware?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2010
whats best buy of a MOCAP hardware?

My boos ask me to research the best equipment for MOCAP.
Any ideas?
  11 November 2010
I think that you need to tell us what you will be using the mocap for and how you would like to implement it. Different systems have different costs and have different weaknesses. And... what do you think your budget will be?
  11 November 2010
I don't know about the budget, but its for a university and its a big one.
  11 November 2010
Well... you can start with optical mocap and the low end is iPi Studio at about $1k and then there's NaturalPoint Optitrack starting at around $7k and you can go all the way up to a Vicon system that cost tens of K's and then there's the Xsens system and....

The point is, each system has pros and cons. It helps to know what they will be doing and what they need the mocap for. Do they want to capture more than one character? Where are they planning to do the capture? You would probably do well to just go online and Google motion capture and check out the various systems individually. Without knowing how it will be used, it's pretty much a waste to provide you with the same information you can acquire yourself online.
  11 November 2010

I agree with all the previous posters on this, you have to give some details on what you are planning on doing, this will determine what type of mocap system to get, There are several types of mocap equipment out there..

Optical, like Naturalpoint and Vicon, which use IR cameras and reflective markers on velcro suits. Naturalpoint will allow up to 2 actors on stage and has a small capture volume (max about 12x12 feet with their R2 cameras, perhaps 20x20 with their new e250 ethernet cameras), but has a low cost (from 7k to 21k depending on # of cameras in the R2, from 14k-96k for ethernet bundles) Vicon can cost you from about 30k on their entry models up to several hundred k (Vicon is very scaleable, allowing you multiple actors.. but you pay for that) Optical systems are very flexible and are the most popular, but suffer from some problems, like occlusion (markers being hidden by movement) and are affected by IR light (such as sunlight)
there are active marker optical systems, such as phasespace, that don't suffer from occlusion, they have markers that communicate with a specific frequency to the sensor so they are always in view.. nifty trick, and these cost about 80k if I remember correctly.

There are inertial suits, such as Animazoo, that use different types of sensors. Their new gypsy 7 costs about 9k, but is tethered via usb and it is a mechanical suit that you strap on (careful, no tumbling or falling or fighting with this one). Their IGS 190 suits use gyros and cost about 80k. (and are wireless) Inertial suits can be extremely accurate but have the disadvantage of not being very good at tracking where they are in a specific space, so some things have to be done to correct that. In multiple suit setups, they have a sonar based solution that will do the trick. Moven is another manufacturer with a really good product

Then there are systems like Organicmotion, which are markerless, but right now are somewhat limited in capture volume, also about 90k, (and I don't believe can capture more than 1 actor, or at least it was like this when I first researched them, perhaps that has changed)

Sorry if I've rambled on... Hope this helps and if you have any questions, let me know

11 November 2010
XSens vs. Animazoo

Dear all, I'll have to apologize for hijacking the thread... or should I start a new thread in the "Technical and Hardware" forum?

I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with both the XSens MVN and the Animazoo IGS-190 mocap suits? Our research lab is looking into acquiring one of these units, but it's really hard to find comparison data on the suits. (I'm not completely trusting this comparison sheet... )

They seem to have more-or-less the same capabilities, although the Animazoo suit has 2 more sensors. Is it true that the XSens suit doesn't provide online streaming capabilities? That would be an important factor for us.
  02 February 2011
Originally Posted by DSW: Well... you can start with optical mocap and the low end is iPi Studio at about $1k and then there's NaturalPoint Optitrack starting at around $7k and you can go all the way up to a Vicon system that cost tens of K's and then there's the Xsens system and....

How much is Xsens system ?
  02 February 2011
Originally Posted by buonnguqua: Hi,
How much is Xsens system ?

I honestly don't know. I'm currently not in a position to even look at it seriously - though I hope that will change this year. I would just shoot them an email. I'm thinking they're around $15k - $30k, but I could be WAY off. And then they've got a new system as well that helps keep a multi-performance locked into a certain space - meaning that you could probably have two people dancing and they would actually stay connected as they should rather than move slightly out of sync. That is something that I would like as well!
  03 March 2011

Originally Posted by DSW: I would just shoot them an email. I'm thinking they're around $15k - $30k, but I could be WAY off.

Did you get answer-email ? What price you get ?
  03 March 2011
Originally Posted by buonnguqua: Did you get answer-email ? What price you get ?

No, haven't sent an email. I won't be ready to even look at pricing for a few months or as much as a year - and prices can change quite a bit. Hopefully they'll be at Siggraph and maybe have sale pricing. If you're seriously looking right now, just send them an email - I recall asking them a couple of years ago and they responded quickly. Unfortunately I can't find the email with pricing. I seem to recall that there were other threads (not in the MotionBuilder section) that discussed mocap and systems - try searching other sections, maybe Animation?
  03 March 2011

I'm going to make a supposition here based on pricing of similar mocap suits, like the igs-190 from Animazoo.. I'd imagine the price for the xsens inertial suit (formerly known as Moven) to be around the same price range 70-80k, They used to make a mechanical suit similar to the Gypsy line from animazoo, which was a lot less expensive, but I don't see them anymore...(animazoo has priced their new gypsy 7 around 8k plus price of plugins, basically bringing it up to about 12k with all bells and whistles)

03 March 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread