Grants

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Grants

I need a grant to get a laptop for 3D Modeling and Animation. I really do not see any grants for 3D Modeling and animation students.

05 May 2013
You and a fair number of other people, I would imagine...

When I was at college (in the UK, so not directly comparable to your situation) I managed to get several small grants to buy art materials - one was given out by my parish (village) council, from a fund set up several hundred years before to help apprentices buy their own tools. I also got small grants (in two different years) from the local town council for specific creative projects, but of course I got to keep the tools when the projects were finished.

They were pretty obscure, so not a whole lot of people knew about them, and they were quite easy to get if you put in a polite, properly written application. Each one was about 150ukp or so.

Don't know if there is anything similar where you live?

I'd be very doubtful a fund exists anywhere that would just hand you a laptop, but if it was part of a community project of some kind (you do some creative work in exchange, and are deserving of the grant in some way) it might be possible.

AJ

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by deltawar567: I need a grant to get a laptop for 3D Modeling and Animation. I really do not see any grants for 3D Modeling and animation students.

Your not going to have much luck finding things like that in Indiana. Most of the grant money goes to science and technology students. You have to keep in mind that your right in the middle of farm and manufacturing country, and there aren't many art studios around. You might try to enter some private contest with prize money. SkillsUSA is a big one, and I think there are a few online ones advertised in the news section.

05 May 2013
typically those grants require a detailed proposal and are used to complete a project, like scientific, educational or historical recreations. Usually someone experienced in grant proposals will submit a detailed business plan to provide something of value. If the money is granted, equipment may be purchased and usually several college students associated with a particular university will be brought on to complete the tasks.

Sometimes they are not even studying graphics, but can get up to speed very quickly with 3d modeling and basics in programs like 3ds max and with the right guidance. They are expected and usually do deliver a product in a few months (by end of a term).

You should try to find special interests groups (philanthropist, historical societies, etc), then figure out how to write intelligently detailed proposals to provide a service or product that would benefit their cause.

I bartered with someone back in 1997 to get my first workstation. I had just graduated, and he like the work I was doing, so he gave me the money to buy a workstation and software and I completed some graphics and 3d images for him for business proposals. I've bartered tons of stuff for art back in the 80s and 90s. Vehicles, automotive and medical services.

It's really a whole other industry or avenue, but not many understand or know how to successfully tap into it. It takes some serious out of the box thinking.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 05 May 2013 at 04:58 PM.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread