UV Edit companion options for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Yes, the are a lot of buttons and panels in Rizom, but you really don't need half of them, and a lot are replicated with hotkeys which are much easier to use. Every panel has a ?, which if clicked sends you to the online documentation.I would say the videos on YouTube will get you up and running (and more have been added by Chris Stone since I went there last). Every icon has a tooltip, and thee's a context-sentivie help panel too.

You will need to experiment a bit but its all fairly logical.I'm certainly no expert but I can help out of anyone has beginner-level questions or issues.

For starters...
I'd definitely get used to using the F1, F2, F3 and F4 keys (or your own hotkeys) for selecting point, line, polygon and UV island selection modes.
Holding the Shift key draws a shortest distance preview over edges. Clicking will select them and turn them green so they're ready to be cut or welded. Cut edges are displayed orange.
U will unwrap a cut object or part, and O optimises all UV islands. However, these are both pointer sensitive - you can unwrap and optimise a single part or island by hovering the mouse pointer over it and tapping U, or hitting O repeatedly. You can then watch it gradually changing shape, which is pretty cool!
P packs the islands into the UV space.
F to 'fit all' in both windows, which works on all objects and UV islands or selected polys/lines.
The C and W keys to cut and weld UV seems.
I also then use the I and Y keys with polys/islands selected. I will solo it, so you can work on one piece of the object, and Y will unsolo everything.
Holding the space bar lets you interactively shrink/grow a selection using LMB, rotate using RMB and move using MMB. Holding the Tab keys gives you more traditional control over position, scale and rotation with a widget.

Just these few key commands will get you started and a very long way to creating a UV map. And of course there's all the automatic selection modes to try out.

On complex objects I tend to try a few different auto modes, find one that gives me a decent start, then go in and cut or weld by hand to tidy it up. I look for blue or red islands which are overly distorted, cut a few new edges to relax them and then unwrap and optimise. Often I'll also look for islands that are too broken up by the auto mode, then re-weld, unwrap and optimise those.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Darth Mole : 1 Week Ago at 11:11 AM.

reply share thread