Importing data from a spreadsheet

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Importing data from a spreadsheet

I'm looking for a way to import x,y,z data from an excel spreadsheet for object placement. It's for 80 objects so doing it manually would take a lot of time. I basically need a sphere at every data point making 80 spheres.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
Silo

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Hello
For example, via python - http://docs.python.org/release/2.6.6/library/csv.html

Old 03 March 2013   #3
A method I've used in the past involves importing the data as a tab separated text file:

- organize the spreadsheet so that the xyz data is in columns, and add an index column as the first column. The index should be stepwise integers (0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.); these will become the point numbers after import.

- save the file as a comma or tab-separated text file

- in C4D, create an empty polygon object

- switch to the structure manager, and under its file menu, import ASCII data. Choose the text file you created

- This will create a point cloud; the points are only visible when the object is selected and you are in point mode

- you can then clone objects to the points using a cloner object

Of course, for greater flexibility, and if you need to do this often, scripting is the way to go...

Originally Posted by DickM: I'm looking for a way to import x,y,z data from an excel spreadsheet for object placement. It's for 80 objects so doing it manually would take a lot of time. I basically need a sphere at every data point making 80 spheres.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thanks for the replies. I got it working. Thanks a LOT Woolridge. That method worked PERFECTLY!!

Really thanks a lot, super appreciated!
Silo

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread