Please advise me on whats awkward in this video?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Please advise me on whats awkward in this video?

Hello,

I have been working on a LPG cylinder explosion on FumeFX for sometime. For some reason, I feel something not right with the render, totally lacking realism. Please have a look into the link to the video posted on youtube and advise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaWt...eature=youtu.be

Thanks for the contd support.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
The lighting doesnt't change when the explosion starts and it starts way to slow, just skip a few of the first frames to speed it up.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Thanks Jonathan for the response. How is the explosion itself? Is the quality of the explosion good? So you mean the lighting should be dimmed when the explosion starts, right?

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Too small to really tell making it hard to give a honest critique.

I will say from what I could see, you need a lot more detail, it is pretty voxelated.

The dynamics look pretty good

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thanks Johnny,

The spacing was set to 7, still its voxelated. I am sorry for the poor render I posted. Will post in a good render soon. Its almost been 15 days since I am working on this explosion, still I don't find it satisfactory or I don't know whether I am underestimating myself, so I thought of posting for the comments.

Thanks again

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Hi.
IMO:
If you want to make something more towards real world than you need more complex setup.
Decide what type of lpg tank destruction you want. Let's say you need to simulate explosion from bullet impact. Then there are a few stages: 1) gas expands very quickly (due to high pressure) through bullet hole. it leads to drop in temperature - and you get quite dense stream of white "smoke" . 2) At the same time the rest of the gas leaks with smaller pressure and fill in the surrounding area. 3) All the leaked gas explodes starting from center (usually the point of impact) and burns up very quickly, No 5 seconds of rolling flames of fire). It leaves almost no smoke (and no grey smoke as in your example). You can add some white smoke from tank frags and some other props after explosion.

Lighting. There is no reaction on explosion in your scene.

As for details: Spacing alone is meaningless. Is 7 small or big? Only the overall voxel number matters) Something like My grid is XxYxZ.

p.s. And i think you have too much turbulence in you fire.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by sumchans: Will post in a good render soon.

Don't waste your time rendering it, not yet anyway, save out FumeFX previews instead. This will give you a good idea of the timings and general look and it will be much much faster. If you need to you can slap comp (a quick dirty composition) the previews over your plate.

LOL it took me a minute to get what you meant by LPG cylinder. We typically have propane tanks here. Knowing that I suggest you watch some references on youtube. As 3ak mentions there are many things going on for which you need to take into account. From the few refs I saw you definitely need some more velocities, they are pretty violent when they go off. It seems most release from a faulty valve, so you get a huge release of pressure through a small opening.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Wow, thanks Johnny & 3ak.

3ak: Thanks for such a good explanation, it was actually awesome, now its time to rethink on my explosion.

Johnny: Thanks again. Velocity , actually I thought about it too.

Will post something soon that reflects this conversation.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Hello,

Posted another render of the explosion. The explosion starts exactly at the point of the bullet impact of the LPG Cylinder. Is this anywhere close to real? Please help with comments.

I have cranked the expansion at the start of the simulation, which makes it roll like a ball.

Explosion on bullet impact

Here is the second one. Is the fire burning away so fast? The top portion where the explosion hits is the roof of the scene and I have got it added to the sources in FumeFX.

Explosion on bullet impact 2

Please help.

Last edited by sumchans : 10 October 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread