intentionally overlapping UVs in BP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
intentionally overlapping UVs in BP

I've searched and found ways and reasons why you wouldn't want to overlap UVs, but I'm thinking in this case I'd want to.

I've got a couch with 4 legs (3 instanced from the master leg). I've made it all editable and now in UV edit, I've unwrapped one. Rather than having another 3 instances of that leg (and texturing 3 more times) that will take up more UV space, I want to intentionally overlap them.
What is the best workflow for this within BodyPaint?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
This is not a direct answer to your question, but if you dont mind the same texture on your legs you could always make one and use the moGraph cloner set to grid array. (if you have mograph). This wil clone your orignal leg and keep the texture.

- Colin

Old 08 August 2012   #3
When the geometry is identical you can unwrap one object. After creating an uv layout you like you can copy the uv tag to the other objects.

Old 08 August 2012   #4
ah never even thought of that. my couch object was collapsed down to one, but after a little separation, this should work nicely. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08 August 2012   #5
This has me thinking now. What if the mesh had to be continuous and you couldn't break out pieces into separate sub objects to unwrap? any ideas on how to overlap UVs within 1 UV tag?

Old 08 August 2012   #6
You could just manually overlap uv faces on top of each other. Having Snap turned on should help with that. It's gonna be trickier for high-density meshes, but it is possible.

Now which items should lay on what will depend on what you're after.
In videogame development, they do that a lot for environmental props and character bits (symmetrical body parts usually).

You could, for example, set up an image with blocks of color to show where you'll place reusable elements. then you could line up the UVs to fill that space.

Old 08 August 2012   #7
the manual route... that's what i thought. Yeah the denser meshes would be a nightmare, but even with simpler objects, you have to wonder how much time you really are shaving off by painstakingly overlapping the UVs by hand versus duplicating instances of a repeating texture in photoshop/BP.

Old 08 August 2012   #8
It's all a matter if costs.

If this were for a game, you would want to have as little memory and CPU costs while the game is running, so it's best practice to fine-tune your UV layout to maximize your texture density.

Though if you're using it for other applications —short films, product visualizations, motion graphics— it wouldn't be as important.

Old 08 August 2012   #9
You can't create one leg first?
Create the correct UV for the first leg, copy it and connect the legs to the rest of the mesh.

Old 08 August 2012   #10
Split the model in half across the X axis, delete one side. Then UV map the remaining side, place under a Symmetry object and then make that editable. This will give you a single UV map with both halves mirrored exactly on top of each other.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2012   #11
thanks for the replys guys.

Arjo's suggestion worked great and Horganovski's is equally effective.

It seems the actual editing of UVs in bodypaint is really showing its age and disparity from the recent updates from C4D's modeling tools. Just navigating around the texture view is a pain. Why can't I frame selected UV like with selected polys in the other viewports? Why can't I zoom to cursor? Where are the transform gizmos?!

I stumbled on this today which addresses some of the missing functionality when working with UVs in bodypaint including symmetry and shaping one UV islands shape after another. The webpage is in Japanese and the amazing set of plugins are only available for windows

http://coffeestock.sitemix.jp/blog/?page_id=290

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Keiths Undertow also makes life a little bit simpler.

http://skinprops.com/undertow.php

Apart from that BP has not been updated for quite sometime.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread