Critiques and Help Please!! Stuck! :)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #16
The paintover is just to show how I'd alter the proportions and shapes, not the surface treatment. It's a quick paintover, so I can't really devote too much time to doing all the skin textures--especially that I'm teaching a workshop right now of record-breaking number of students (the highest number since the debut of the workshop), so I'm completely swamped.

So if you just imagine my paintover with the kind of skin textures you prefer, you'll get an idea how how it would look.

The interesting thing though, is that if you obverse how the media portrays beauty, they try all that they can to cover up blemishes, use foundation makeup on everyone, no matter what sex and what age they are, and in more fashion-sensitive publications, they completely get rid of any sign of pores and blemishes. It's kind of odd how obsessed society is with flawless skin. It's basically an unrealistic portrayal of beauty, yet everyone strives for it. What complicates it, is the fact that there really are people out there with impeccable skin, and because such rare perfection does exist, it becomes acceptable to try to make everyone look that way--simply because it does exist in nature. If people with flawless skin never existed in this world, we probably wouldn't try so hard to replicate that kind of perfection.

Everything that the media does to push the boundaries of beauty are directly based on what they've seen that's possible in the rare examples possible in the human race, and they've used those rare examples are references for their own attempts at beautifying everything.

Some artists also strive to portray that kind of rare, flawless beauty, while others will try to inject more flaws, to portray what they think is a more natural look. Neither is right or wrong--just different approaches to express one's own subject ideal of beauty.

Personally, I dislike when a girl wears heavy foundation, because it looks too fake--like she's wearing a mask. That's why I tell my wife (who I take tons of photos of for my photography) that I would rather see her skin as natural and imperfect, than caked with foundation and look fake.

But in my artwork, I prefer to depict skin that is naturally flawless--like the kind you often see on young East Asian women (such as celebrity reality shows like "Invincible Youth," often featuring well-known K-Pop stars without any makeup), where their skin is so fair and radiant that they look almost ethereal, but still very real and natural.

This is all subjective, of course. Just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by Lunatique : 07 July 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #17
lucky b@st@rds

Old 07 July 2012   #18
You really have to fix her philtrum (between nose and upper lip). The area looks as though a cleft started to form. She looks like she has inflamed skin around her mouth, too.
Also, beware of taking your shadows too dark too fast.

Here’s my wayward spin on her. I used what you have and fixed the philtrum and painted some new lips. I left the asymmetries and didn’t do too much with the eyes. She looks older in the PO, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billpo321.jpg (81.8 KB, 20 views)

Old 07 July 2012   #19
Real nice paint over Quarart

Old 07 July 2012   #20
That's a very nice paint over, Quadart. Thank you for taking the time out to do that.

I completely see how my lighting scheme is skewed, and yes I might have over-done blurring the lips, so she might look like it is sensitive around her mouth. hmm..

Heh, a funny tid bit: the concept originally was to do a photo-real painting of a "girl" (somewhat in the 12-14 year range, hence the "Girl" title), but as I painted her I started changing features to a more mature look. By the time I was done she looks like she's a young twenty-something. In your picture she looks a little older. It's as if she's pushing the vision to be more and more mature. By the time I'm done she'll be in her antiquity.

I'm very humbled by all of the people wanting to give their feedback. I'm taking it all in without reserves; I'm hoping it will lead to a polished piece I can be proud of.

Old 07 July 2012   #21
Okay, I had to do another PO. This time staying on track.
Here are my more appropriate visual suggestions for your portrait.
I hope this is more helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billpo3.jpg (93.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Quadart : 07 July 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old 07 July 2012   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread