Total noob - When creating a sculpt, is it best practice to have one continuous mesh?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
Total noob - When creating a sculpt, is it best practice to have one continuous mesh?

OK so im not yet using Zbrush but im using sculptirs.  I lost my pet cat not long ago and mid trying to create a 3d model of him. In this model ive sculpted the ears, head, eyes and whiskers separately.

Should they all be one part or is it best to keep them separate. I doubt if ill get to animation stages im just  trying to work out if and when and how i texture this model is best in bits or as a whole?

Many thanks for any tips or help / advice. Hope you like my first ever model, probably done loads wrong but im here fro help!

1 Week Ago
So sorry about your cat, hope you are doing well.

I have been using Zbrush for about a year and the only time i have split my mesh in parts is when i need more resolution on an specific part. For example, split the head from the body and add more resolution to the head. I donīt think you will have a problem working the mesh as a whole

1 Week Ago
Keeping your model as one complete mesh will limit how much you can subdivide. Depending on your computer, maybe you can only subdivide up to 4 million points. So that's all you will be able to work with. But, if you split your model up into multiple subtools, you can then subdivide each subtool to the same 4 million points, which gives you a lot more resolution to work with in each subtool.

In the case of your cat head, I would split the eyes out to their own subtool and the whiskers to their own subtool, but I would probably keep the ears attached to the head.

If you're going to animate then you will have to create a low poly mesh anyway, so when you're creating your high poly model, it's usually best to take advantage of the subtool system so you can get the most resolution in your meshes to sculpt the highest detail.

1 Week Ago
Thank you for your help! I will store that knowledge as i progress with the idea. Sure computing power is always an issue! Always want more.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by DanielLince: So sorry about your cat, hope you are doing well.

I have been using Zbrush for about a year and the only time i have split my mesh in parts is when i need more resolution on an specific part. For example, split the head from the body and add more resolution to the head. I donīt think you will have a problem working the mesh as a whole
 So for example, sorry still learning, adding a colour photo or own created eye colouring over the eye, doing on a separate "ball" is not easier with the correct material , say plastic, and then adding fur to the head using another material and whiskers that should be white and plastic like. I can do that all with one continuous mesh?

Thanks

1 Week Ago
Yes, you can paint different colors and materials on a single mesh. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHI88C2fRY

1 Week Ago
Thank you that is useful. Very useful  now if only i could stretch the whiskers out slightly, is there a way to select a bunch of things, ive seen the lassoo used in videos but cant find it.

1 Week Ago
You can use the Move brush. Just set your brush radius big enough to grab all the whiskers. Also, drop down to a low subdivision level. The Move brush works best on low poly meshes.

1 Week Ago
Thank you kindly once again. I have booked all the useful info and can move his whiskers out some more. Thank you. Ill post again when i have some colour and possibly fur. BUt i think that will be tricky. Kind regards

reply share thread