Coming Soon - Group Workshop: Open Courseware Anatomy Video Lecture Series

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007

I just discovered through a link in General Discussions to Berkeley's Open Courseware Website.

I found this Open Courseware Class from Berkeley:

General Human Anatomy

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses...esid=1906978375

And thought that we could do Group Workshops here on the Anatomy Forum where each week, we would watch an Anatomy Video (not all of them, many do not apply to Artistic Anatomy - the course is geared toward science not art students) and then do an exercise based on the topic of the video.

So:

I'd like to get your feedback / ideas here!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2007 at 02:21 PM.

01 January 2007
Is it just me or are only the mp3 files available?
Unfortunately, the streaming files links don't work. (would have been nice to see)

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by NR43: Is it just me or are only the mp3 files available?
Unfortunately, the streaming files links don't work. (would have been nice to see)

I was able to save / view the video files without any problem - you have to have RealPlayer for the vids at least, the download link is available from the site.

Try saving them then launching them in RealPlayer. The files are pretty small (5KB each)

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2007
Yes, launching the link with RealPlayer works, but you're not actually downloading the file rather it's a link to the source via Real. I think if something happened to the source your 5kb file won't work.

But watching a couple of videos definitely made me feel like I'm back in school At least we won't have the embarrassment of falling asleep in class.

I think it's a good idea, any opportunity to learn right? But I almost feel like something needs to be added or modified to have the lectures to work well with an artistic mindset.

Last edited by SirRon : 01 January 2007 at 06:52 PM.

01 January 2007
This sounds like fun, what sort of projects would we do?

01 January 2007
Sounds like a great idea. I think it could be really beneficial to study this stuff in a group and in a structured format.

I'd like to have exercises that were somehow analytical of form and function rather than just drawing bones and naming them, which I think might get rather dull. Perhaps we could use (scans from) a source text (or are there copyright issues with that?).

Something I've been wanting to try - which may work here - is to analyse a master with x-ray drawings showing the underlying anatomy. This may be a little complex, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

When I started watching one of these videos I only got about one frame every 5 seconds, kind of like a slideshow. Is that what everyone else is getting. I suppose it's adequate for our purposes.

01 January 2007
This sounds great. This is something I have been needing. I assume you will let us know when it starts, Reb?

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

01 January 2007
oh an excellent idea Rebeccak! I'm totally in

01 January 2007
I love the idea Rebecca. Hope to find some time to join in.

Cheers

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

01 January 2007
argh not the realplayer
for some reason I've always had problems with it, causing my system to be unstable etc, which is why I don't use it anymore.

Hm maybe I should risk it though... I listnened to the first file (mp3) and I really like that teacher...

As for suggestions... The ones that already have some knowledge of anatomy already could just download the mp3 files and then try to draw from imagination what is being taught... that could be challenging I think....

the ones that don't have the knowledge could do the same but use a book on anatomy to find reference if they have one...

01 January 2007
Man, why does it have to be in Real Player?

Last edited by Shiroku : 01 January 2007 at 11:50 AM.

01 January 2007
Hmm, I didn't know Real Player was such a problem - any particular reason why? I may have to rethink the Workshop if it's a problem for everyone, since I don't want to convert all of the files...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2007
hypercal thanks for the suggestion. I'm reading stuff about copyrights etc though so for me personally it's not an option. I think I'll be installing realplayer (but not before next weekend, no time at all). After all it's been a few years since I've used it and according to wikipedia the addware and privacy related problems should be solved. I'll give it a chance.

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: I may have to rethink the Workshop if it's a problem for everyone, since I don't want to convert all of the files...

I think the knowledge that is shared in these files is immensely useful. Therefor I think if you just mention the files have to be played in Real Player, everyone can decide for themself if they want to participate or not. I don't think the workshop would suffer from too few contributors due to the medium

I think this could turn out to be something wonderful. We just need to figure out how to use all that information in an artistic way that isn't boring to the more experienced artists at the forums.

One thing I've found out... for people who want to view/listnen to the files... take some notes

01 January 2007
I agree with NR43.
No need to re-think the workshop. it's an awesome idea!! These days you have to watch out when installing new software on your computer anyway (especially the free ones). RealMedia is just not used that often anymore. i think it's because the player used up a bit more resources than the other ones out there.

I too had problems with it before but i installed it last weekend and it works fine so i guess they did some work on it.

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

Thread Closed share thread