Cody Avery - Sketchbook

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
Cody Avery - Sketchbook

I'm starting a sketchbook here to share and keep myself motivated.

I'd love feedback when I post, I'll take a look at the other sketchbooks going in the forum here too.

These are some sketches for a creature design I started that I'd like to finish for my portfolio. Rendering and finishing to presentation are my weakest areas.

03 March 2018
Carrier drone sketches I'm working on.

03 March 2018
Looking cool! I really like your ideas! Keep them coming!

03 March 2018
Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to cleanup/finish the drone designs this weekend here.

03 March 2018
You have a ways to go before you are ready to work on the type of projects I put artist on but You are quickly showing the potential to get there keep at this your are getting better all the time and showing concept exploration . Dig it

03 March 2018
Thank you Travis, I appreciate the feedback,. I'm trying to figure out the balance in working on learning/my portfolio and my day job [gotta' pay rent].

I've worked up the drones to "finished" sketches. When I get back from GDC next week I'm going to try and bring them up to a finished render/painting [2D]. I'm kind of worried that going to GDC this year may have been a year too early now.

03 March 2018
GDC is a great event but you got to have a plan and do your best to set up meetings. good luck man and keep me posted

03 March 2018
Thanks I'll do my best. How would I go about setting up meetings? Is that something I would do at the convention? Or should I have asked studios/people in advance?

04 April 2018
I'm back from San Fran/GDC. I learned a lot, got a lot of good feedback on where I'm at and made a lot of new friends/connections. I'm going to try and use the thread here like an actual sketchbook/journal.

Before I had left, Paul Richards gave me some notes on the drones. So I'm taking that into account.

I'll take these to sketches in the next few days.

04 April 2018
Golden! Keep the post going

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by CodyAvery:

Great sketches and lots of very interesting ideas with this drone, i like 01, 09 and 16 the most! If you are planning to finalize and polish some of them i am definitely looking forward to see it!

04 April 2018
Amazing info dude! Very helpful too! Thanks for sharing!

04 April 2018
Hey man, Really really like the designs. The shape language does concern me for a non-horror robot. I see this being touched upon in the feedback you got. I especially like the changes made on the left there.

I was 100% certain they had a stinger after I scrolled through the thread the first time. My brain just filled in Mosquito.
The thin legs leave me thinking about Mosquitos and syringes :(
I went on a 2 minute google hunt for medical equipment. The rounded friendly shapes would definently be a better fit.

Last but not least my favorite medical robot and a real world example to go with him.
(Bob Ross did teach us all to put small friends together)

04 April 2018
Travis - Thank you I will.

Klaudio - I am going to work up some designs to finish. Thanks for your input, I'm liking 01, 06, 09, 21, and 22 myself.

Adrian - Thanks, yeah I have gotten some more ref of less imposing shape language and medical equipment. I'll post me ref sheet below.

07 July 2018
I'm back to working through Kory Hubbell's Character Concept Class I bought "on-demand" a while back.

reply share thread