Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainRoadPost
Hi guys! My name Arman Yahin and i am VFX supervisor of this movie and want to answer about tanks. There is no German WW2 tanks that we needed in Russia that can ride through the set and crash decorations. So that was a desicion of the production designers to do like that. This replica has different size and propotions than real Pz4, but as you said before, 99.9% of people don't care about this. So for CG tanks we've done same tanks as on the set.

Thanks for the clarifications Arman. For me the VFX on this movie is up there with the very best of them. The VFX work alone makes the film worth watching.

Last edited by Dillster : 12-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
There is a running condition Pz IV at Russian Kubinka museum . Several others around the world.
But there are many legitimate reasons to not get a proper running tank to the set like cost, bureaucracy etc.

When the tanks are more than 50% covered by plates that is not difficult.

I would have thought it hard enough to do, a lot of work. I had a look on wiki and T44 tanks look a lot different than Panzer IV's. Getting the T44 looking so like a Panzer that nobody noticed anything other than relatively small details and still thought it was an earlier model Panzer was quite an achievement.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #33
garryclarke
Expert

portfolio
Garry Clarke
Horsham, United Kingdom

Funny, the first thing I noticed was the tanks, I'm not a military hard ware geek but I used to build plastic models when I was a kid. Old war films (pre CG) used to use american tanks painted with different markings, couldn't help it as almost all of the German tanks were destroyed after the war.

I would have thought that with the advent of CG we could have had some historical accuracy, but when has the movie industy ever made the effort to get things right when they can add ever more 'impressive' explosions.

So impressive CG work but I doubt it has anything to do with the real battle of Stalingrad.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #34
Bullit
Expert

Quote:
I would have thought it hard enough to do, a lot of work. I had a look on wiki and T44 tanks look a lot different than Panzer IV's. Getting the T44 looking so like a Panzer that nobody noticed anything other than relatively small details and still thought it was an earlier model Panzer was quite an achievement.

The sides were all behind shurzen plates.
That is why it was chosen a model that wasn't in Stalingrad battle, it makes the work much much easier, less costly.
It would have been impossible to hide the mechanical train / suspension of a T-44 without the plates covering the whole side. A digital replacement for that part could have been done but then the cost advantages of a real tank would not be so much.
The boxy front is probably wood over the T-44 and that is where some work had to be done.

Of course in real world the shurzen plates were bend, got stuck in obstacles, more so in cities and many tanks went to battle with missing plates.

This is still an improvement over the past, like someone said we had Shermans badly desguised as Panthers...

Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #35
grahamef
Expert
Grahame Fuller
Tech Writer
Autodesk M&E
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I think it's actually more important to be consistant than to be right. Apparently not many here are as old as I am and had to suffer through old tv shows that used stock footage of multiple different fighter jets to make up one sequence (one for the taxi, one for the take-off, one for the peel-off, one for the cockpit close-up, etc.). I'm not talking about an F-4D cutting to an F-4C, either. They would regularly cut from an F-4 to an F-106 to an F-104, 3 wildly different-looking aircraft. But I can also understand that there were probably people who didn't notice or care about such things.

On the flip side that reminds me of the running joke in the old Adam West Batman series where they used the same exterior shot for every civic building -- city hall, police station, museum, library, bank, etc.

Quote:
When the tanks are more than 50% covered by plates that is not difficult.

Well, the treads seem too wide for any mark of PzKpfw IV, but that's easier to spot in hindsight.

Quote:
This is still an improvement over the past, like someone said we had Shermans badly desguised as Panthers...

It still happens, even in fairly recent films. I remember seeing a Sherman with German markings in Tea with Mussolini. Then again, all armies used captured vehicles.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
The sides were all behind shurzen plates.
That is why it was chosen a model that wasn't in Stalingrad battle, it makes the work much much easier, less costly.
It would have been impossible to hide the mechanical train / suspension of a T-44 without the plates covering the whole side. A digital replacement for that part could have been done but then the cost advantages of a real tank would not be so much.
The boxy front is probably wood over the T-44 and that is where some work had to be done....

Now it is easier to understand the problems the VFX lads faced. They would have had to wait until the T44 was disguised with wood or whatever was used, and then use the disguised tank as their reference so the CG ones looked the same, warts and all.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #37
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Manager, Education and Training
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Check out our article here

Old 12-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
Ultrasonic
Mental what?!?
portfolio
Oliver Markowski
CG Supervisor
FULL.BLOWN|IMAGES
Munich, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Ultrasonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainRoadPost
Thanks! It was very hard project for us.

Ohoh....whenever i hear people saying that about a project I immediately have the suspicion that this means heavy overtime and burning artists! I hope everyone survived this project!

But anyway i can assure you, that it was worth it! I really like the VFX and i am very impressed! Keep up the good work guys (not the overtime) !

BTW: How many houdini artists where working on that show?

cheers
Oliver

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #39
MainRoadPost
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
BTW: How many houdini artists where working on that show?

Six Houdini artists.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #40
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread