Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

WIP: Kreola - Soenke Maeter

How could I not.
River and other side of canyon will come and it looks way too high right now.

Good luck everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_01.jpg (84.0 KB, 158 views)

Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Flussdorf

Hallo Soenke,

Das ist schonmal ein sehr guter Start und es sieht auch sehr monumental aus, aber die Anweisungen beschreiben eine Felsschlucht, fasst wie eine Schelffurche. Die Idee ist, dass wenn die Leute aus dem Fenster kucken sie nur die Haeuser auf der anderen Seite sehen, kein wunderschoenes Tal. Hoffe es ist nicht zu spaet das irgendwie einzubauen.

Danke schonmal im Voraus. Freue mich jetzt schon deinen naechsten Schritt zu sehen.

Viele Gruesse,
Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordan
How could I not.
River and other side of canyon will come and it looks way too high right now.

Good luck everyone

Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

Hi Milan,
Thanks for the feedback.
Quote:
"Die Idee ist, dass wenn die Leute aus dem Fenster kucken sie nur die Haeuser auf der anderen Seite sehen, kein wunderschoenes Tal."

Good advice, I was about to make the canyon extremely wide

If you don't mind asking, why did you answer in German?

Cheers,
Soenke

Last edited by milanschere : 09-26-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Quotation

Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

Some more progress. Enjoying it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_02.jpg (87.5 KB, 73 views)

Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

A strong feature of the plate surely is the contrast of one side being in shadow and the other in sunlight. Since my current composition seems to be predestined to push for a ying yang, I don't see a reason why not to do so (talking subliminal message ).
Upper left corner could be brightened once I start fixing lighting. Lower right could be darkened by some sort of rock, kinda like a monument or just a hole in the ground.
I'd love to keep the blue top right corner, but balance and story is more important I guess.
Also the chasm looks more than 200m, love the epic possibility to integrate a massive amount of buildings into the left cliff . Depends a bit whether I bend the background story a bit too far here. Can I keep the scale?
Horizon will be filled with a cliff and there are some VP problems.

Oh and I know I haven't mentioned it yet, but crits and commends are more than welcome

ps: still so much time and so much potential for detail... WOOHOO can't wait, fingertips are tickling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_03.jpg (96.9 KB, 59 views)

Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Hochdeutsch ist meine Spezialitaet!

Wieso, kam mein badischer Dialekt durch?
Anyways, if you prefer English, that's fine by me.

Your sketch has definitely improved but I believe the buildings should be more attached to the cliff or integrated into the canyon. Right now it feels like a bungalow on a plateau instead of what is described in the brief/script. Also watch your lighting on the rock face. Especially the cast shadows. Keep pushing yourself but make sure you don't forget all about the plate. Maybe try to paint on top of the provided image in order to figure out your composition rather than cutting out a piece and filling things in around it? And don't forget to have lots of fun with this!

Der Milan

Quote:
A strong feature of the plate surely is the contrast of one side being in shadow and the other in sunlight. Since my current composition seems to be predestined to push for a ying yang, I don't see a reason why not to do so (talking subliminal message ).
Upper left corner could be brightened once I start fixing lighting. Lower right could be darkened by some sort of rock, kinda like a monument or just a hole in the ground.
I'd love to keep the blue top right corner, but balance and story is more important I guess.
Also the chasm looks more than 200m, love the epic possibility to integrate a massive amount of buildings into the left cliff . Depends a bit whether I bend the background story a bit too far here. Can I keep the scale?
Horizon will be filled with a cliff and there are some VP problems.

Oh and I know I haven't mentioned it yet, but crits and commends are more than welcome

ps: still so much time and so much potential for detail... WOOHOO can't wait, fingertips are tickling

Quote:
Hi Milan,
Thanks for the feedback.

Good advice, I was about to make the canyon extremely wide

If you don't mind asking, why did you answer in German?

Cheers,
Soenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanschere
Hallo Soenke, Das ist schonmal ein sehr guter Start und es sieht auch sehr monumental aus, aber die Anweisungen beschreiben eine Felsschlucht, fasst wie eine Schelffurche. Die Idee ist, dass wenn die Leute aus dem Fenster kucken sie nur die Haeuser auf der anderen Seite sehen, kein wunderschoenes Tal. Hoffe es ist nicht zu spaet das irgendwie einzubauen. Danke schonmal im Voraus. Freue mich jetzt schon deinen naechsten Schritt zu sehen. Viele Gruesse, Milan

Old 09-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

Yes, please use English. It's much more inviting in an international (that's French for international) forum. Maybe someone wants to join the par-tey

I agree with your feedback, especially about the lighting on the rock face, it's simply wrong.
I guess a concept is the quickest way to communicate. So here is my idea of where I'm roughly heading.

Cheers,
The Zordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanschere
Wieso, kam mein badischer Dialekt durch?
Anyways, if you prefer English, that's fine by me.

Your sketch has definitely improved but I believe the buildings should be more attached to the cliff or integrated into the canyon. Right now it feels like a bungalow on a plateau instead of what is described in the brief/script. Also watch your lighting on the rock face. Especially the cast shadows. Keep pushing yourself but make sure you don't forget all about the plate. Maybe try to paint on top of the provided image in order to figure out your composition rather than cutting out a piece and filling things in around it? And don't forget to have lots of fun with this!

Der Milan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_04.jpg (85.2 KB, 37 views)

Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

In before nirvana

Still lots of work...deadline? pffff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_05.jpg (62.8 KB, 38 views)

Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
artvandeley
Old crock

portfolio
Torsten Wolber
Freelance Illustrator
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Still lots of work...deadline? pffff

Yup, looks like you´re almost done

No, seriously,big problem with different focal distances of the two plates.
This is why the angle of the house with the red ..flower(?) is off.
You will need a rimlight for the trees and rocks on the left, the top of the mountain should be in bright sunlight.Compositionwise the rocks on the left and the houses create a line.

Have fun

Wo in Bonn wohnst Du? Ist ja nicht weit weg von hier... (Köln Innenstadt)

Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

Thanks for the comments

>artvandeley
True, perspective is a bit weird. It seems to go uphill but I've created a scene in 3d which matches the plate's perspective, maybe I've done something wrong there. I'll check that.
ps: Das naechste mal wenn ich in Koeln bin koennen wir gerne ein Stueck Kuchen essen oder sogar den Dom ablichten. Waere eine nette Gelegenheit meiner Kamera etwas episches sehen zu lassen

First buildings, very chaotic right now. But since they are 3d it shouldn't be a problem to solve them. More buildings will hopefully come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_06.jpg (70.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

Wow, look at that! I add five more buildings and they actually appear, must be some sort of voodoo magic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_07.jpg (78.1 KB, 6 views)

Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread