Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
ESKEI
portfolio
ESKEI
London, United Kingdom

Zbrush to Maya miss_fast_skin_maya

Hello CGTalk. This is my first post here so please be vigilant and point every mistake I make so I don't do it again

I am trying to set up Sub Surface Scattering shader in Maya after painting textures in ZBrush (Back Scattering, Subdermal and Epidermal Shown from the right ) using method described in Sculpting Human Anatomy by Scott Spencer.

I copied the settings found in the scene included on the DVD and created shader graph for miss_fast_skin_maya link to the screenshot

These are the maps used in this shader

The result is dissapointing:( and I wonder what I did wrong? I found following faults with this render:
1) It is too glossy, looks more like cheap plastic than realistic skin
2) The seams of UV mapping are visible
3) The quality of the render is low

These are my guesses:
1) I probably made maps too saturated and the material used in ZBrush influened them too much - I used Skin 04 but I am not sure if this has any significance.
2) I exported the second lowest subdivision and exported normal map while being at this subdivision. I don't know if that is correct
3) I used photoshop to flip the images vertically and saved them as PNGs, possibly I've lost some information because of that.
4) I am complete noob at maya and moderate noob in mental ray under max.

I am sorry if this is a well known issue that can be easily found somewhere else. I tried to solve this problem for several days with no luck

Last edited by ESKEI : 02-22-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: I forgot to finish one sentence.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESKEI
2) I exported the second lowest subdivision and exported normal map while being at this subdivision. I don't know if that is correct

You should be able to do this, some people prefer it. I have had issues in the past with artifacts while doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESKEI
3) I used photoshop to flip the images vertically and saved them as PNGs, possibly I've lost some information because of that.

Flip them in zb before u export them in the texture palette, if color management is off in photoshop you should be able to flip there, but it's probably safer to export directly from zb. I'd just use a .tga

I'm not too familiar with the process of baking mat info from zbrush into the texture in accordance with mental ray shaders. I'd try just exporting with a matte material.

Also you're model just needs specular maps, the specular is really the key to making believable skin. the sss shaders in mental ray look good a bit plastic at default settings.

This guy's got a great group of tuts on youtube where he goes through what he does with the textures to make a good spec. he sets up his sss attribute values in vids 1 and 2, and makes his textures in 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFRZDRFOoNc

Last edited by jgibz : 02-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread