TwiiK
Frequenter

portfolio
ōyvind StrÝmsvik
Web developer
Ny Media AS
Trondheim, Norway

How to fix scaled and rotated rig?

I'm creating a first person shooter game and I found an existing rig for the player's arms. This rig is just two arms pointing forward. They are unwrapped, skinned and rigged with normal bones it seems.

In my game however I want the player to see his entire body so I've modeled a guy without arms. Because I have no rigging experience I thought it was smart to use the existing arms rig as a starting point so I merged my guy into the scene with the rigged arms and basically just rotated each arm out to the side and positioned and scaled them up them near the guys shoulders in a t-pose. I then went down in the stack to the edit poly modifier and attached my guy to the arms mesh and cleaned up the connection between the arms and the body.

I added an unwrap modifier above the edit poly modifier and cleaned up the UV's. And then double checked that the skin modifier was still working. Everything was working perfectly at this point.

But then I noticed that my guy had his pivot point in mid air right in front of him, probably from where the arms originally had been. I went into the Hierarchy tab and readjusted the pivot. This is where everything went to hell.

Now if I try to move the arm controllers his shoulders shoot up into the air turning the model basically inside out. No matter how I try to fix it if I move one of the arms again the same thing happens. After a lot of googling I downloaded the "PEN Reset XForm" script which basically told me my arm rig was fucked, scale and transform was not 100% for all the bones and helpers. However if I try to reset XForm the arm bones are scaled down and rotated and the IK chains etc. seem to all wonky which means I would basically have to start from scratch to fix all these problems.

Is there an alternative to reset XForm, like set XForm or something? I already have everything exactly as I want it in my scene, I don't want to reset anything. Is there a way to tell max that the way I currently have it set up is correct, ie. tell max that this is in fact 100% scale?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
TwiiK
Frequenter

portfolio
ōyvind StrÝmsvik
Web developer
Ny Media AS
Trondheim, Norway

Lol, I thought I was going mad. It seemed like the problem caused all backups of the same file to blow up as well. As in if I opened the file again or an autobackup of the file the model would already be broken without me even having touched it.

But it seems the model broke the instant I changed the pivot, but the viewport doesn't update until I try to move something.

I actually gave up trying to fix this. It boggles my mind how something software related can be so fragile you can actually ruin it in a way like this, but it just seemed easier to recreate the rig than to spend another day trying to fix it, which actually turned out to be fairly easy now that I've learned some rigging. Still not sure how long skinning will take, but I would have to find out either way when I skinned the rest of the body.

Here's the file in case anyone wants to have a look or try to actually fix it:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/766368/example.zip

Even though I gave up I would be extremely grateful as I just can't stand the fact that it's possible to break something to the point where you have to start over.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread