Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
CollDet
Veteran
as in, CollDet
M. a. S., Italy

References

Hi, I've got a probably dumb question.
I see a lot of speed sculpts in which the user starts from primitives or zspheres "blobs" and then blocks out and refines the shapes till the final look is achieved. I've never modelled from scratch within ZBrush, so I can't understand how exactly the references are handled - expecially in the case of portraits of existing people; for an example, have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RO8-rMtCw . Now the author is obviously referencing some image to eyeball the look so precisely, but where is it kept?
Let's say you have gathered a few image references and you are now sculpting the mesh. Where do you keep the refs? Do you work with two monitors? Print them out and keep them on your desk? Do you use the reference plugin (which I find very awkward to work with)?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Usually if ortho refs are not being used directly then most people gather whatever refs they feel are enough for their needs and work off their secondary monitor.
More importantly though, a decent grasp of anatomy and the ability to read forms is a must.
It all depends on the individual really. Some people may be able to create from their minds to a certain extent and others may need a pile of refs. And then others may freestyle concept directly from their minds
Obviously, for likeness sculpts refs are a must.

R4 now has some excellent tools for using ortho refs.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

There are a lot of ways to do it. I know some students who don't like too many monitors, so they print some refs on an A3 or A4 page and stick it beside their working monitor. Others have ref images in their iphones or ipads.
Have you seen Ryan Kittlesons speeds sculpts? He is a master at this. Here is one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Hk55INVx0

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
There are a lot of ways to do it. I know some students who don't like too many monitors]

Not having a second monitor whilst working is a nightmare, in my opinion. If not just for refs then for having multiple apps open simultaneously during the workflow....

I was stuck with one monitor recently during a project and it drove me nuts...!!

But, of course, you're correct. Whatever works for the individual. Be it a 'triumvirate' of HD monitors or random scribblings on post-its stuck all around your work-area.

But, whatever methods you do use, make sure you do use refs. There are not many working digital artists out there who don't.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread