Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
onedee

portfolio
United Kingdom

software and print question

I hope someone can help,

We are trying to put together a catalogue of various short films/animations for a small event we are having. We are going to choose stills of scenes in these animations, and put these in the brochure/catalogue, which will be printed... Since all the animations are in mp4 format, what would be the best software to grab single frames in as high quality as possible?

Please help

Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

honestly, a screenshot would be fine as long as it's not compressed afterwards. You aren't going to magically get data that isn't shown on screen already. But you might need to increase the resolution for print depending on the size. If you have to do drastic up-scaling, I recommend Photozoom Pro 5. I have use all the competing upres programs, including the new one in Photoshop CC and it is the best, especially for clean lines and smooth gradations like animation.

I hope you're hiring a designer who knows print because you need a very specific skill set to get an ideal conversion from RGB to CMYK. Photoshop defaults aren't ideal. If you aren't doing that, I recommend using a online book service with RGB images and make sure the images have embedded ICC profiles.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
onedee

portfolio
United Kingdom

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive reply cgbeige, really appreciate it.

And thanks for the tip on Photozoom, I had no idea different programs scled images differently, thats great. I will probably have to increase the size of the photos, since the images need to be 300 dpi. The brochure itself will be A5 size so the photos need to be a little less than half of that. We will be using print24 who Ive used before for posters and flyers, but apprently they print brochures too and seems pretty straight forward. So should we make the conversion from rgb to cmyk ourselves or ask the printer to do it? The recommend sending files already converted, probably to make sure I know what I am getting..

I am not very experienced in this but a friend of mine whos a pro promised to help, I just hope she has time.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

if they ask for CMYK, then send CMYK. But your print person should know a bit about conversions hopefully or you won't get the best colour saturation because this depends on ink type, paper and max ink density, colour gamut, the UCR/GCR settings you use, etc.

I've been doing magazine production for years so this is my area of expertise.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread