Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #31
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Quote:
Bay Raitt

Quite surprised they would just "lay off" someone like that, especially considering how long hes been in the company and what he will bring to competitors.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

I don't know who Bay Raitt is, but guys at that level, and who have been around a long time, command some pretty extreme salaries. Someone mentioned Glenn Keane, from Disney. I believe he was making something like $2 million per year. There were a couple of guys at a studio where I worked making something like $350,000 per year. If this cannot be justified, at a time of restructuring, they have to go.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #33
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Quote:
I don't know who Bay Raitt is, but guys at that level, and who have been around a long time, command some pretty extreme salaries. Someone mentioned Glenn Keane, from Disney. I believe he was making something like $2 million per year. There were a couple of guys at a studio where I worked making something like $350,000 per year. If this cannot be justified, at a time of restructuring, they have to go.

I can see your point actually, also in the video with Gabe a few weeks back he talks about having a small amount of very high paid staff as opposed to lots of low paid or outsourced workers. He was also talking about problems with new hires and a weakness at valve in training people up.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #34
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by conbom
Quite surprised they would just "lay off" someone like that, especially considering how long hes been in the company and what he will bring to competitors.

There's no real mystery here. People leave (what are perceived from the outside to be) great companies all the time. Things change. People change. I have friends who spent more than a decade at places like Pixar or Lucasarts and they left. While the work those places can produce might be stellar, sometimes they don't allow for the sort of personal or professional growth that some people are seeking. I've heard sayings like "If you wanna grow, you gotta go," or like the motto we had at LEC: It's the best job you'll ever leave.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
JanosHunyadi
Know-it-All
portfolio
Andreas Sizynski
LA, USA

I have never met Bay, but would like to. Rumor has it he has a great relationship with some of the peeps at Bad Robot, JJ Abrams company. Might be his next stop.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #36
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Hehe. Bay on new Star Wars FTW!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #37
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Word on the street has it he'll be modelling lens flares.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #38
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Newell
"We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."

I'm not buying any of that at all... a lot of hot air to try to cool the curious masses does nothing for me.

He should have just kept his mouth shut and let it blow over... but he doesn't seem like the kinda guy that can do that.

big mouf catch big flies.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #39
JanosHunyadi
Know-it-All
portfolio
Andreas Sizynski
LA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
I'm not buying any of that at all... a lot of hot air to try to cool the curious masses does nothing for me.

He should have just kept his mouth shut and let it blow over... but he doesn't seem like the kinda guy that can do that.

big mouf catch big flies.

I think you're taking that a little too personally...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #40
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

I wouldn't have thought so much of it if there weren't a few recognizable names among those let go. I'm hoping to see Source Filmmaker continue moving forward as an animation tool, so that was the first thing I thought of initially.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #41
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanosHunyadi
I think you're taking that a little too personally...

experience... if the guy wants to lay people off, its' his prerogative. I guess time will tell the truth about the whole "nothing is changing and we ain't gonna talk about it" ... I've seen time and time again from people like him.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #42
richcz3
esc is key

portfolio
Richard Cabrera
Media Developer
Digital Works
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to richcz3
Valve has one of the most unusual management structures of any business, because there really isn't a management structure. Even Gabe is part of the decision making process vs. having the last say.

With that said, the whole run up to Windows 8 had Gabe really vocalizing about how bad Win8 was for gaming. My guess is Gabe is more concerned that the next Xbox (Infinity) will be better integrated with Windows 8 with Steam/Steambox more on the sidelines. Cue the Linux developments for Steam and possible Steambox.

Valve has made changes to Steam to play on TV in the front room, that is console territory. The fact you can use console controllers while playing (some of your) PC games on the TV is not insignificant. The battle for the gateway device to the TV is on because its not just about gaming anymore.

As others have noted, the Steam market place has been more front and center than Valve being a game developer. Going forward, the company (privately owned) needs to run a lot more lean than in years past if it's focus is on Steam and less on game development. I almost expect to see Half Life Episode 3 or Half Life 3 ship with every Steambox. I would not be surprised to see more people let go before or after a final reveal possibly during E3 in June.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #43
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread