Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Dkersys
portfolio
Darius
Vilnius, Lithuania

Vilnius Destruction

Hello, I'm completely new to this type of creation. This is my first time I did something using only my brush (note that the original is an image). I need really specific advices on this one. Thanks in advance

1200x900 resolution:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd....739635108_n.jpg

Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

You need to tell us what your goal is with this image, what your goal is in your artistic development, and what you are struggling with currently.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Dkersys
portfolio
Darius
Vilnius, Lithuania

My goal is to make this place look like it's destructed, I want to make it feel like it's destructed. I'm currently having trouble with making it look realistic. And don't know how to go further.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

What is your goal as an artist? What is the purpose of this image? Are you trying to create a matte painting? Is your aspiration to be a matte painter? The more you tell us about your goals, the better we can help you achieve it.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
ClariceYeow
Student
portfolio
Clarice Yeow
University of Texas at Dallas
Carrollton, USA

When you're working with photomanipulation, I recommend keeping as many of the edges as crisp as possible. A shift in edge quality is usually a dead giveaway to the editing, especially when you're trying to convince the viewer that the image is as real as possible. In Photoshop, it would mean using a harder brush to define or retain the edges, and avoiding the smudge tool. The clone tool is your friend.

With destructed architecture, it's good to look at references to real cracks in buildings, to get a better idea of the variety of thickness along cracks and the natural patterns that the cracks make.

I think the strongest part of this image is the area that around the front columns of the building, while the weakest part would be the bottom section of the tower. Most of the cracks in the background are looking pretty nice (and the bigger ones would look better once you refine the fuzzy edges), but that bottom section of the tower feels unnatural and really takes a viewer out of the illusion.

If you're going for the destructed look, I think a nice touch would be to add some discoloration to the sky. Bring out that kind of atmosphere.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread