Maya/Fusion project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Maya/Fusion project

I received a call for finishing some VFX for an independent movie but the 3D is built in Maya and composited in Fusion.

I have dabbled in both but am not fluent. Do you think if I accepted the project I could be up to speed fairly quickly on Maya and Fusion. I've been a C4D/AE guy my whole career but can figure out new software with some work. And if the files are already 90% done it might be easier than starting from scratch.

Or if you know Maya and Fusion, let me know and I can forward the info you you.

Thanks,
m

2 Weeks Ago
What is the "VFX"?

Models plus shader/textures/light/animation? Fluids or liquids? Particles? Dynamics? Character Rigs? All together?

Without knowing the scenes we cannot give an informed opinion.

Cheers

2 Weeks Ago
Like ceen said, its kinda hard to tell without knowing the details. In general id say that a lot in Maya is very similar to C4D, the modelling and animation  tools for example are pretty much the same, even if they often work a bit different, the whole interface is relatively similar too i think.
VFX isnt so easy though, Maya is just way more expansive in regard to  simulations/vfx stuff. Most of it is conceptually similar to adjust inside Maya (as in once you understand nfluids then Bifröst isnt a huge step anymore)  On the other hand, every module has a pretty long list of of settings and unfortunately many of them arent too  self-explanatory.

Oh and renderers tend to be a bit more varied to set up then in C4D, in my opinion.  Vray for example works almost identical, Arnold has some settings in different places (for example having to un-/check -opaque- in the attributes of an object to make it transparent)  and so on...

Might be worth to just get the Student version from  the Autodesk page and give it a try with some video tutorials.

No clue about Fusion, looks more similar to Nuke than AE though...

Last edited by IgnisFerroque : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:46 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Thanks. I've installed the month-free trial and am exploring. I already got into trouble with just the interface changing. I lost the menus at the top and couldn't figure out how to get them back. So I uninstalled and re-installed. Uhg. I'll figure that out.

I saw 20 seconds of stuff the previous shop had done and there was a bit of fluid for a logo and then just objects flying around, as far as I could tell. I'm getting files next week so I'll see what I can do. 

Thanks,
m

2 Weeks Ago
I did a vice-versa project than the one you are describing. The renderer I was using wasn't as supported in C4D as it was in this "other" program so I ended up exporting everything via FBX / ABC (Alembic). Some of the keyframes were off for some reason but since it was a very very simple animation it worked.

I do prefer to work in C4D at all times

2 Weeks Ago
dont under estimate the nightmare that is "other peoples projects" even c4d projects can be crazy time consuming to figure out and tweak. If the project is in a whole different software that can be a whole other circle of hell. Unless the guy was super well organized. 

also good idea to find out why the original artist isn't finishing it. Might be a nightmare client.. 

2 Weeks Ago
Im a maya fusion user but dip into c4d and AE from time to time. maya is way way different than cinema, in many ways more powerful but a mine field of  crashing and half implemented features.  Cinema makes everythign easy,  In maya you have to do everythign manually. and u MUST save your file every 5 minutes minimum.  fusion is way way different than AE and in many ways much better especially for straight compositing.  incidentally if u lose the menu in maya - cntrl M

if you take on this project as a novice your nuts

Last edited by republicavfx : 2 Weeks Ago at 04:49 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by AlekseyVoz: dont under estimate the nightmare that is "other peoples projects" even c4d projects can be crazy time consuming to figure out and tweak. If the project is in a whole different software that can be a whole other circle of hell. Unless the guy was super well organized. 

also good idea to find out why the original artist isn't finishing it. Might be a nightmare client.. 

This. All of this. 

2 Weeks Ago
Thanks everybody. 

Yes, I am intimately aware of the difficulties in working with someone else's files. The few that I've had to do over the past 15 years have required almost a complete re-do. In the current project they didn't get too far with actual animation so I'm trying to learn enough to export the models so that I can use them directly or use them as a guide to rebuild them in C4D. Looks like there's no way to get parametric/NURBS objects out of Maya and into C4D intact; everything will need to be converted to polys. So the models will get heavy and require rebuilding anyway. But the client approved the characters so I need to recreate them as closely as possible.

I don't know what all was done in Fusion. Hopefully almost nothing yet. The animation they did do got a lot of negative feedback from the client and lots of changes so I feel good that they won't need me to match any of the animation.

m

reply share thread