Paint problem with geo from Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2014
Paint problem with geo from Max

Hi guys, i have an odd problem with painting on certain geo from Max, with testing im 99% certain that it isnt a uv ussue, it usually shows up with meshes that started life as a cylinder. Tried turning of smoothing groups (and removing them) and turning preserve edge orientation on/off. It paints fine in viewport canvas, 3d coat and photoshop 3d so im at a loss as to what's causing this... It basically seems as if the brush skips a little at certain edges.

PS: ignore the paint strips on the curved sides, thats just from switching uv sets for testing and not setting a new layer. It actually paints fine on those parts its just the flat bit on this mesh that has the " skipping".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mudbox problem.JPG (43.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by KerroPerro : 02 February 2014 at 04:46 PM.

02 February 2014
have you tried Scaling as a solution here? try resizing your geometry larger, and then another much smaller. and see if it paints better.

someone brought it up on another thread and i might apply here.

02 February 2014
Nope, tried scaling it up and down and the problem was still there. Thanks for the suggestion though!

02 February 2014
Strange..... those painting artifacts near the bottom and bottom right or "shards" tell me you've got uv problems.

and when i say uv problems i'm referring to Mudbox only. it seems to have issues with geometries not constructed to it's liking. it's one of the main issues i have with mudbox. hopefully in mudbox 2015 there will be a solution for this. one better than Retopo

good luck. i'd love to see a solution of you find one.

02 February 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread