AE Assistance I think I'm doing it wrong.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
AE Assistance I think I'm doing it wrong.

I'm new to AE and taking a very diligent approach to learning it but the only thing I'm worried about is that I can't grasp the Camera/ Rig using the Null object approach. Its not that I'm dreading it... I'm just dreading that I may be performing the technique completely wrong and building 'bad habits' that will bite my butt in the long run.

I'd really, really, really would appreciate a seasoned professional to just tell me that - "yes your performing the technique wrong." or better yet - "your doing it correctly."

I'm learning with "Creating Motion Graphics with AE" by Trish & Chris Meyer and when I take a break I usually hop on YT or watch a tutorial over at VCoP.

I've been studying for about 6-8 hrs a day and getting the grasp of everything that is in the book - its just the Camera rig/ null that is driving me out of whack.

When I render my animation - yeah it looks all fine and dandy but - for some reason I feel its wrong.

Can someone help me out if I upload the file somewhere and you could view it or is there another recommended/ preferred way of doing this?

10 October 2012
You didn't really describe the method your using. I assume you're parenting your camera to a 3d null and animating that? I've used a hierarchy of parented nulls before, so that I can break up my animation in segments, each segment being controlled by a different null. I think that method works pretty well, as long as your organized about it.

As long as you can make sense of your workflow and be able to go back into it and make adjustments where needed, you're fine. That last point is very important, you're going to have to go back into a project and make changes at some point, the easier it is for you to do that, the better.

10 October 2012
Thanks for responding.

Originally Posted by th3ta: You didn't really describe the method your using. I assume you're parenting your camera to a 3d null and animating that? I've used a hierarchy of parented nulls before, so that I can break up my animation in segments, each segment being controlled by a different null. I think that method works pretty well, as long as your organized about it.

As long as you can make sense of your workflow and be able to go back into it and make adjustments where needed, you're fine. That last point is very important, you're going to have to go back into a project and make changes at some point, the easier it is for you to do that, the better.

Thanks for responding... I been waiting for someone to throw me a bone in here.

I took a screen vid' of the animation in AE.

What I'm worried about is that my camera is not facing the null object as it travels forward. The video will speak for itself i guess... what i did was rotated the orientation of the camera as it was moving forward around a logo. I feel its wrong. Could you correct me. I'm a newb at AE and am on an extreme learning curve.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTK9ZUPqB0

btw: impressive portfolio. That Show West intro - wow.

10 October 2012
For your example, I would just animate everything together on the camera - position and rotation. What gets confusing, for me at least, is when you have one property being animated on one object(position of null) and another property being animated on another(rotation on camera).

You could also just keep your point of interest locked onto your 3d layer text, that way, you just have to animate the position of your camera, and it will always be looking at your text.

10 October 2012
You could also do some research on null objects. Just so you can get comfortable working with them and understanding what they do. You can create really complex rigs with null objects and using all of the transform options (position, rotation, scale etc). The easiest way to explain it is you are giving what ever object(s) parented to it another anchor point. That should also help you when working with camera rigs as well.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread