Using the Timeline in R10

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2006
Using the Timeline in R10

What's the best way to set up the timeline for animation? I know in the past there were different ways when locking or not locking the timeline.

For character animation is it best to begin by dropping all your controllers into the timeline, and then start animating?
Enjoy every sandwich. Warren Zevon
  12 December 2006
the new bookmark system and layers are your first priority. Setting these up well will make using the timeline a lot easier.

With Layers you can have related tracks colored the same, and even use the layer to turn off animation expressions etc when needed.

Also, USE KEYFRAME SELECTIONS in the AM. They now work with the regular keymode instead of only working with Autokey. Using Keyframe selections means you will only record keys on the data that needs keys, no recording keys for Y position if all you are aniamtion are X and Z.

In the Timeline, click on the view menu and choose the second last option "go to main level" This will give you a track called Document. This track can be used to control the animation of everything in the scene, makes it a whole lot easier to retime all your characters keyframes without having to select the same key on each track or use modifier keys etc.

Things like Automatic and show all animated are definitely a matter of personal taste, I use them when I feel the need but when doing CA specifically I usually don't bother.

I also recommend you start off using just the Powerslider and only move to timeline when you need it as drawing the timeline or Fcurve editor will slow down performance of the editor a lot. Don't forget you can have up to 4 timelines, so you can have one for keys and one for Fcurves, or one for each character etc.

Finally check out the Show track value option. for me its an awesome lifesaver, for others it may be a space waster and a nuisance.
Quote: "Until you do what you believe in, how do you know whether you believe in it or not?" -Leo Tolstoy
Kai Pedersen
  12 December 2006
Thanks very much for all the info, Kai. Sure is enough to get me started.

I appreciate the detailed explanations, too.
  12 December 2006
I just checked Kai's tutorials at

they were a great jumpstart!

BTW When I got my copy of r10 I just got a single dvd whith no extra's..
The case is designed for 2, am I missing something?
  12 December 2006
Yes. The tutorial DVD. Probably will ship later.
  12 December 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread