I still hate the Windoze World

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  01 January 2018
So HP UK  was a complete bust for a workstation... nothing in stock and can't even find a configure option....

BUT DELL...

I got bored adding after 10 hard drives Triple 6000s and a 48 Core  CPU when I go the error - The 1.5TB Memory is not compatible with less than 4TB Boot Hard Drive. Please amend your selection. 

 

Oh that was hitting £90,000 by the way... the RAM was 49K alone... 
 
  01 January 2018
Have you tried Strongbox? Their systems look well architected and very powerful. I was tempted to switch to the PC side when I saw these. Still praying for a good Mac Pro though.
 
  01 January 2018
HP's website is simply atrocious, I cant say id ever generally recommend them outside of a prebuilt system in a brick and mortar store.
__________________
Matthew O'Neill
www.3dfluff.com
 
  01 January 2018
I am so tired of Dell and HP and their crap. I mean, they make decent products, but their sites are hard to shop on and their machines are not configured well for 3d artists.

I highly recommend Puget Systems and Velocity Micro.

Puget Systems is a great site to visit regardless of where you are planning to purchase your machine because they have SO MANY great benchmarks and tests they've run with production software. It's ridiculously useful. Plus the people at the company are really great. And, for shopping, you can specify that you mainly use AE or C4D and the site helps you pick the best hardware. Very useful.

Velocity Micro's sales team are also very helpful. At my full-time job, we just bought several machines from them. Had a great experience with the process.
 
  01 January 2018
Limited choice in the uk - Armani are good.

Anyway I’ve just spoken to a company that will build me a hackintosh with full support and top spec parts / 10 core Xeon W / x299 / 1080 of Titans etc for no more than a bespoke pc plus I can have a windows on the other (dark) side.
 
  01 January 2018
Originally Posted by TheGreatSzalam: Puget Systems is a great site to visit regardless of where you are planning to purchase your machine because they have SO MANY great benchmarks and tests they've run with production software. It's ridiculously useful. Plus the people at the company are really great. And, for shopping, you can specify that you mainly use AE or C4D and the site helps you pick the best hardware. Very useful.


+1. Great customer experience with them throughout the 3-year warranty period as well. I've built my own Windows systems since then, and things have been very stable. 
 
  01 January 2018
I've always worked at places that had both MACs and PCs and until the last few years would have said "as long as the machine is properly specced, they both get the job done. Just use what makes sense for your workflow/comfort level." I've had to change my tune though. Now, if someone asks me what system to get, my answer is pretty much, "If you're just checking email and downloading your daily dose of viruses, get a MAC. If you need to get work done, get a PC."

In 20 years, I've only ever had two machines fail. One MAC, and one PC and both failed due to me being an idiot. 100% user error. I've never had a virus or malware issue (on either system), and I've had good an bad support experience on both sides of the fence. That all changed in the last few years:

MacBook Pro 15" - 1yr old: Failed logic board. Apple had to send it out. It came back with a "rebuilt"  logic board. The HD failed two days later. They put a new HD in it at the store. The logic board failed again that same day.

Replacement MacBook Pro - brand new: Caught fire
Replacement MacBook Pro - Power supply melted

2017 MacBook Pro - Delivered with a bad video card
Replacement 2017 MacBook Pro - heat issues. The case is a VERY bad design - it's too thin to cool properly, and the vent basically sends all the hot air onto the screen which acts as a giant heat sink, drawing the heat back into the body - The tech guy we deal with at the Apple Store basically told us they weren't designed for serious use. Also, don't even get me started on the "touch strip". It fails to work a good portion of the time, and that can get very frustrating since you no longer have an actual "escape" key on the keyboard ...

MACPRO desktop (yeah, the trashcan) - Video card failure after 6 months - 2 week turnaround on a fix due to the "form over function" design

We have 120 designers, and that experience has been common across more people than I'd care to admit in the last 3 years. Meanwhile, our BOXX systems and our Dell workstations/Precision Series laptops are all chugging along relentlessly. We had one issue with a video card on a Dell. I had a new card in my hands the next morning. Maybe it's just a remarkably bad run of luck (the few older MacPROs we have kicking around are still trouble free), but it seems like the MAC hardware just isn't holding up like it used to. I'm fortunate to work at a company that always spends top dollar to get the best hardware too, so it's not like we were trying to render 4k animation on an underpowered machine either.

On top of all of that, the last place I worked at was almost all PC. I got very used to certain things in Windows that you can't do at all, or can't do very easily on OS. Things like quickly tweaking Processor priority, or memory allotment. 

I've always been the kind of person who basically just bought whatever delivered the best performance for the best price and didn't care or worry about what logo was on the case. I'm now highly cautious of what we buy when it's time to get a new machine ...
 
  01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Crotalis: MacBook Pro 15" - 1yr old: Failed logic board. Apple had to send it out. It came back with a "rebuilt"  logic board. The HD failed two days later. They put a new HD in it at the store. The logic board failed again that same day.

Replacement MacBook Pro - brand new: Caught fire
Replacement MacBook Pro - Power supply melted

2017 MacBook Pro - Delivered with a bad video card
Replacement 2017 MacBook Pro - heat issues. The case is a VERY bad design - it's too thin to cool properly, and the vent basically sends all the hot air onto the screen which acts as a giant heat sink, drawing the heat back into the body - The tech guy we deal with at the Apple Store basically told us they weren't designed for serious use. Also, don't even get me started on the "touch strip". It fails to work a good portion of the time, and that can get very frustrating since you no longer have an actual "escape" key on the keyboard ...

MACPRO desktop (yeah, the trashcan) - Video card failure after 6 months - 2 week turnaround on a fix due to the "form over function" design

We have 120 designers, and that experience has been common across more people than I'd care to admit in the last 3 years. Meanwhile, our BOXX systems and our Dell workstations/Precision Series laptops are all chugging along relentlessly. We had one issue with a video card on a Dell. I had a new card in my hands the next morning. Maybe it's just a remarkably bad run of luck (the few older MacPROs we have kicking around are still trouble free), but it seems like the MAC hardware just isn't holding up like it used to. I'm fortunate to work at a company that always spends top dollar to get the best hardware too, so it's not like we were trying to render 4k animation on an underpowered machine either.

On top of all of that, the last place I worked at was almost all PC. I got very used to certain things in Windows that you can't do at all, or can't do very easily on OS. Things like quickly tweaking Processor priority, or memory allotment. 

I've always been the kind of person who basically just bought whatever delivered the best performance for the best price and didn't care or worry about what logo was on the case. I'm now highly cautious of what we buy when it's time to get a new machine ...



2017 Macbook pro - Very unlucky.  Mine is rock solid - currently doing some very poly work quite happily for the past month.  No issues at all.  
Agree with the escape key... but I just mapped it to the § / ± key - you can of course force it always be on the Touch strip.  It's completely customisable... but as you say you have issues with it not working... fine for me. 

Mac Pro - 2 week turn around... crazy.  Never heard such a thing with Apple.    I know that they will do direct replacements depending on your cover.  My friend got his 8 core swapped out for a 12 -  But I suppose it depends on what they have in store. 

Whereas I've had nothing but issues with other companies machines and service centres... All have good an bad experiences. 
 
  01 January 2018
Quote: 2017 Macbook pro - Very unlucky.

I would agree with this, except that in a batch of 80, 30 have significant issues. Like I said, our older Apple hardware is still rock solid. The newer stuff? Not so much.

As far as mapping the escape key back to the keyboard - I know that it can be done, but it's infuriating that it's even necessary. There was literally no point to moving it to that strip except to give the strip additional functions ... It's a piece of tech that serves almost no real purpose for a professional machine. Other than getting in the way.

In terms of the 2 week turnaround on the desktop - yeah, I have no idea why it took so long. Most of the stores around here have very minimal support for those, so I didn't expect the same support I could get from a Dell, but two weeks was crazy. 

Last edited by Crotalis : 01 January 2018 at 04:03 PM.
 
  01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Crotalis: I would agree with this, except that in a batch of 80, 30 have significant issues. Like I said, our older Apple hardware is still rock solid. The newer stuff? Not so much.

We got the touch bar MacBook pros in our office. One is unstable, the other is smooth sailing. For the rest we got 13 inch non touch strip models to avoid that darn touch bar.  I always hesitate to buy the first of a new Apple generation.  Our late model iMacs, refined over many iterations, are screamers and rock solid.  Fast boot, quiet until heavy load. Beautiful display.

I had a Dell Precision workstation solely to get Maya certified hardware back before Maya was 64-bit (yes, I'm old).  That thing was expensive, but it was darn near bullet proof.  it wasn't pretty, but the interior's bare steal interior was surprisingly well laid out with sections that rotated outward for easy service.  I even swapped the processor out myself to extend the life (from dual core to quad core!  Look out, world!).

It wasn't the fastest. It wasn't cheap. But it was really, really well made, IMO.

Darn that nVidia Quaddro for Maya back in the day.  It was so expensive and didn't perform all that well.  But if I wanted Autodesk support, I had to stick with the hardware they certified with.   That Dell still worked fine when I gave it away last year.

Last edited by BubblegumDimension : 01 January 2018 at 08:14 PM.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.